Fish everywhere - 1 June 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish everywhere - 1 June 2019

Great to see the reports from the Tyne boats and doing well too. Well done lads.

My son, Oli joined me, and though it sounds unbelievable, between us we landed somewhere in the region of 200 fish yesterday!

On a smallish tide (4.6m) we left Amble marine at 09.15, having bought some fresh lug and rag from Blyth on the way up, and headed straight to the mark that I fished last week just off Alnmouth golf course. Back then, within 3 hours I had over 50 codling, this week it was over 60. That was just me, on bait. The water clarity was good and Oli was trying out different lures, but the bait outfished the lures by 100%. Sizewise, slightly bigger this week, but all under 4lb.

Around 13.00, we thought of moving. There were only three other boats around, (which is why I love having the boat up here), fishing slightly deeper water, and that they were catching was obvious, so we figured that since the wind had eased and veered SW, we would give the wrecks a go and come back later to the hard ground if they were not productive.

The first wreck was full of fish. We landed codling up to 5lb on lures and some bluey that we'd brought with us, though had a feeling there were bigger fish around that we lost. We also had nice fighting coalies up to 1.5lb and several pollack to 4lb. Also had a surprise whiting of about 1lb, first one I'd caught in almost 2 years.

When the wind veered southerly, we headed closer inshore, fetching up at the kelp beds just off Boulmer harbour. Out came the jelly eels and on light gear we were both fighting strings of coalies and pollack to around 2lb, but with 2 and even 3 hook-ups at a time it was manic and brought smiles to our faces as these hard-fighting fish gave a good account of themselves. It's simple, but great fun and a nice reminder why we started angling in the first place.

Then it was back to the hard ground and the reefs, where again, it was non-stop codling and coalies for the next couple of hours.

We finally made it back into Amble marina at 19.30, tired but immensely pleased with the day's fishing. What a difference a week makes. It was good to have Oli with me cos we'd not seen each other for several months, and there was much banter. The little swine took a video of me after I landed a small codling, and then filmed me juggling it until I lost it over the side. Sure that will be on YouTube at some point. I got my revenge with the photo of the "stonefish" on a metal jig that at the time he claimed was fighting hard. Hahaha.

Water temp was around 11.9 degrees close in and just under 11 degrees offshore. Clarity was great, down to about 15-20 feet out there. We kept 3 but the rest went back to grow bigger. Some had coughed up sandeels and small herring, and though many looked in great condition, fresh from offshore, they were lighter in weight than they should have been for their size, so looks like they're on the feed to fatten up. Hopefully they'll gorge for a while longer.
    Attached Files

Well done, you don’t get many days like that when the fishing and weather are at their best.

Comment

another great report, quality time with Oli, well done both of you. Davey

Comment

Great report im itching to get out im due home 2nite out in the morning hope yhe fish are still around

Comment

The next couple of days look very fishable. Water should be gin clear. Hope it's a good session.

Comment

That’s some catch and a cracking day!
            Fingers crossed I will head off tomorrow.

Graham.

Comment

Working...
            X