A day of two halves 25 May 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day of two halves 25 May 2019

Saturday was realistically my only chance of getting out this weekend. Forecast looked dodgy for Sunday and Monday, and I promised the missus that I would curtail it to just one day seeing that it is our 30th wedding anniversary this weekend.

Left Amble marine around 10.30 am, having stocked up with some lug and rag from Blyth tackle on the way up. A big swell was running but winds were light, but forecast to pick up, so I decided to give the wrecks a miss and went north instead. Having read Graham's report, just as well as I did.

It didn't get off to a cracking start. Drift was fast, 1.5-1.8 knots off Seaton, and in a NW direction so not great for fishing the drops. 2 other boats in the area, one of which came over and said he'd fished all along from Alnmouth and nowt around. He departed around 13.00.

By that time, I'd lost several rigs due to discarded ropes and caught only 2 small codling under 2lb. Moreover, the wind had veered SE and had freshened, plus it had started to rain. Uncomfortable, I thought about calling it a day, but with low tide at 2.30 and expecting a change in the drift I stuck it out.

I found a spot not far off Alnmouth golf course where the drift was just 0.7 knots, but better still, that pocket started producing fish. Drift too far off and there was nothing again. So back round every time. This 150 yard spot gave me over 50 codling over the next 3 hours until I ran out of worms. Nothing big mind you, biggest perhaps 3 and half pounds, but I didn't care. It was a fish every couple of minutes until I came out of the zone. They all went back to grow a little too.

A bonus too at that time was a pod of dolphins that passed, with the adults leaping clear of the water on numerous occasions. Few gannets though, none diving inshore anyway. Water temp was 10.9 degrees. Looking back to last year we were already getting mackerel from mid May, so we've still a way to go this year.

Back at the marina, some guys were saying there had been a small boat competition on Friday. He'd had 20 fish himself, all around same size as me, and that seemed to have been par for the competition too.
    Attached Files

Well done sticking at it you got your rewards
    At least your not stuck on an oil rig only one
    More week and i will be joinoing in on the cod hunt
    Tight lines

Comment

Bet your glad you stuck it out marra. Nice one. And great read. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Good report, well done. Very rare do we go north, keep them coming.

Comment

Congratulations to the two of you for your 30th.
          Persistence paid off in the end and that’s one of the best catches I’ve heard of so far this season.

Comment

Well done! Even two at a time!!
            This weather is changeable at the minute and the forecasts are all over the place! I am back to work next week so guaranteed it calms down then!!!

Graham.

Comment

Catching fish and returning them is still a great days fishing, that's what it's all about having a good time.
              A couple of years back I was fishing off Blyth in my yak and got surrounded by dolphins, I didn't catch anything that day but I had a smile on my face for days.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1n View Post
                Congratulations to the two of you for your 30th.
                Persistence paid off in the end and that’s one of the best catches I’ve heard of so far this season.
                It could so easily have been a different result if I hadn't have chanced on this one spot. 200 yards made all the difference, yet same kind of bottom. To be fair, I'd marked this spot on the plotter as a good mark when I first relocated the boat up to Amble from Royal Quays, so it must have fished well back then. Sure you've all got similar X's on your plotters. They don't always deliver, but when they do they can make all the difference.

Comment

Working...
                X