Amble 11 Aug 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amble 11 Aug 2018

Was off the berth at 07.20 and headed up to Boulmer to pick up some mackerel for bait, and then off to the wrecks. Today, I had another novice on board, Tim, who hadn't been fishing since he was 9 years old, and that was over 50 years ago.

The water was a bit dirty close in, but clarity was much better offshore, where the temperature showed over 14 degrees.

They were fast drifts, with such big tides, but every drift brought fish. It was a mixed bag of codling, coalies, mackerel and pout. Most of the cod were in the 3-4lb bracket, though I got one of 6-7lb, and Oli took another nice fish. Tim soon got the hang of it, and brought alongside some 20 fish, mostly codling to 5lb and the odd coalie.

It was a great morning, flat calm, and we had the sea to ourselves. Around 4pm we started to head back, with the winds forecast to turn southerly and pick up force. We ended up fishing fairly close in at Boulmer, with another half-a-dozen codling each, most of which were beautifully coloured kelpies, as well as a wrasse of around 2lb, and a couple of Pollack of around 2lb, with more coalies and mackerel for everyone.

Tim finished the day with several decent codling for the table, and a smile a mile wide.
    Attached Files

Couple more shots of Tim. Not bad for a complete novice. His one and only attempt at fishing was when he was 9 years old, and he caught nothing back then. He must have smashed his PB about 20 times in just one day !!
    Attached Files

Comment

Some nice fish there, Tims still got it after 5o year.

Comment

nice pics and report,im up there on Sat 18th,hope you left a few
        AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

We only kept 5 for the table, everything else going back, so there should be plenty still around for you

I have family visiting that weekend, so can I ask you to leave me some for the following weekend ?

Comment

Great report and some good fish. There was a lot of mackerel caught on Warkworth pier Saturday afternoon.
            PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
              We only kept 5 for the table, everything else going back, so there should be plenty still around for you

I have family visiting that weekend, so can I ask you to leave me some for the following weekend ?
              ,looking like westerly might just have too much in at the moment,hope it drops a wee bit!!!!!!
              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
              X