What Fish ? ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Fish ? ?

Been out the last two weekends from Hartlepool. 1st weekend, two of us fished about 6 hours east to Saltburn, Skinny, Boulby etc. Not a bite. Great bait, fresh and frozen. went inshore to 40ft of water, offshore to 7 miles and 150 ft.
    So this weekend, decided to go north to Seaham and Caravans etc. Spent another 5-6 hours bobbing about inshore from 40-/50ft of water to offshore and 140 ft of water - again, not a bite. Good bait again, plastic, shads, lures, everything.
    Are there any fish out there at the moment ? I know its a quiet time until mid May but nothing ??? Water was always murky and even offshore wasn't that clear. Do you think the poor winter and late spring start has delayed the fish returning ?

cheers, tight lines. Ralph

Hi Ralph, welcome to the forum. That's a lot of hours without a bite. I know it's still early in the season, but there are normally one or two fish around by now. I think you're right about the delay for the fish showing, but ii think after the beast from the east gave the shallow water a hammering, washing probably all the feed onto the shore, it will probably take a while to recover.
    If you were to fish the medium making tides with lugworm, around the 50/60ft rough ground areas,maybe it might produce a fish or two. Best of luck on your next trip.
    Arthur.
    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

I was out on the JFK2 on Monday and we picked up fish from most spots we stopped at.
      The morning session was a little slow but the afternoon session kept everyone busy.

Personally I landed 14 fish - 8 keeper and 6 safely returned. The heaviest fish I landed was a Ling of 6.5lb (gutted) and 7 cod ranging from 2.5lb - 4lb.

The sea was very calm and the tides were small. The water out of the Tyne was quite clear and the afternoon run of cod seemed to be turned on by shads.

All in all an excellent day for me.

I'm sure a few fish will move a little further south to your neck of the woods in the not too distant future.

Comment

Originally posted by Enterprise View Post
        I was out on the JFK2 on Monday and we picked up fish from most spots we stopped at.
        The morning session was a little slow but the afternoon session kept everyone busy.

Personally I landed 14 fish - 8 keeper and 6 safely returned. The heaviest fish I landed was a Ling of 6.5lb (gutted) and 7 cod ranging from 2.5lb - 4lb.

The sea was very calm and the tides were small. The water out of the Tyne was quite clear and the afternoon run of cod seemed to be turned on by shads.

All in all an excellent day for me.

I'm sure a few fish will move a little further south to your neck of the woods in the not too distant future.
        Same here mate, i was out from the Tyne on monday and the fishing was decent, as you say water up that way is alot clearer than further south, shads are working well the last few times i have been out.

Comment

What Fish

Thanks lads, it seems its all happening up your way. I spoke to lots of lads on our pontoon and none of them were catching, even party boats full to the brim with keen anglers were blanking !
          As you say, a couple of weeks to let the murky water clear and we might be in business ?
          Maybe risk a trip to your grounds, a calm day would see me there in an hour and a half.

cheers.

PB : 70kg Eagle Headed Ray. Spain 2017.

Comment

Working...
          X