Grace 14/5/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grace 14/5/17

We left Royal Quays at the top of the tide and made our way North on slack water which was as clean as I've seen it for many months. We all fished shads on a flowing trace and the benefit of the water clarity was immediately apparent. As the tide turned we had a very productive couple of hours off the Blyth radio mast when quite often we were all into fish at the same time. We probably landed between 50 to 60 Cod up to 5lb all taken on shads with the lighter colours doing the damage. By early afternoon the wind freshened and fishing became difficult so we headed home for a quick pint on the Zetland where we reflected on our best day for quite some time. Most of the fish were returned but we kept about a dozen to top up our freezers. Click image for larger version

Name:	fish2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1534335

Nice one.

GET IN,great session lads..

Comment

at last , something to smile about, well done lads
      •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
      :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
      LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
      CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
      THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
      COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
      CARP 30LB CANADA
      PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

hopefully its starting to pick up now, well done lads cheers for the report

Comment

I left Amble at 10.30am 2 hours before low tide and headed down to Hauxley. Conditions were ok, but the water was very coloured with viz no more than a foot this close inshore. I had three coalies and a couple of codling around 2lb. Was using frozen cooked prawns, and some black lug I had in the freezer on orange daylights. Chatting to another boat, he had the same experience and he went north.

I went south to Cresswell, where only 1 other boat was fishing. Viz was better here and I switched to black daylights. The fish came on the feed around 2 hours into the flood, all the way up to the high tide. I had a further 20 fish, mostly in the 2-4lb bracket, of which all but 4 went back. The drift was between 0.8-1.1 knots all day, with the flood tide giving a nice run over the banks, with fish coming in all depths, from 25 up to 80 feet. It was a bit bumpy, but not that bad.

It certainly felt good to be out again after more than a month of waiting. The fish were all in good condition and fought well in the tide. Stomach contents were mostly squat lobster and crab, with one having a small flattie.

Typical catch 14 May 2017_zpsihueywob.jpg Photo by ab_ssy | Photobucket

Looking towards Coquet Island 14 May 2017_zpswofxrsdv.jpg Photo by ab_ssy | Photobucket

Comment

thats a belting report My Alibi,you did well sticking with south prawn and black lug are decent baits,prawn all year,black lug early on---did you lose much gear at cresswell
            AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Yep, it's a graveyard alright, but I was always told that if you're not losing gear then you're in the wrong spot!

Comment

great report lad's, well done. the radio mast is a survey m.e.p, after the survey's are complete it will be a future wind farm, good fishing.

Comment

good report, with a bit of luck i'll be fishing that way soon, look forward to seeing you out there.

Comment

Ah! So that's what a full bucket of fish looks like, i'd almost forgotten. Well done finding the fish.
                    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
                      Yep, it's a graveyard alright, but I was always told that if you're not losing gear then you're in the wrong spot!
                      so right
                      AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Originally posted by My Alibi View Post
                        I left Amble at 10.30am 2 hours before low tide and headed down to Hauxley. Conditions were ok, but the water was very coloured with viz no more than a foot this close inshore. I had three coalies and a couple of codling around 2lb. Was using frozen cooked prawns, and some black lug I had in the freezer on orange daylights. Chatting to another boat, he had the same experience and he went north.

I went south to Cresswell, where only 1 other boat was fishing. Viz was better here and I switched to black daylights. The fish came on the feed around 2 hours into the flood, all the way up to the high tide. I had a further 20 fish, mostly in the 2-4lb bracket, of which all but 4 went back. The drift was between 0.8-1.1 knots all day, with the flood tide giving a nice run over the banks, with fish coming in all depths, from 25 up to 80 feet. It was a bit bumpy, but not that bad.

It certainly felt good to be out again after more than a month of waiting. The fish were all in good condition and fought well in the tide. Stomach contents were mostly squat lobster and crab, with one having a small flattie.

Typical catch 14 May 2017_zpsihueywob.jpg Photo by ab_ssy | Photobucket

Looking towards Coquet Island 14 May 2017_zpswofxrsdv.jpg Photo by ab_ssy | Photobucket
                        Yes it was really good to be out and if we get a decent run of Westerlies we should see a lot more catch reports. Did you get any Wrasse? we get the occasional Wrasse but yesterday I had at least 5 good sized fish which we immediately returned. I know the Portuguese regard them as a delicacy but has anyone got an opinion on Wrasse being a viable fish for eating.

Comment

Unfortunately not - they give a good account of themselves.

I read somewhere that they are territorial fish, so defend their own spot. It'd be a shame if they were taken and then turned out to be inedible.

I've seen Moray eel and Barnacles on the menu in Portugal. Not sure I fancy them either, however much garlic butter they pour over them

Comment

Canny report Tony.

Same as you we found the fishing much improved taken fish of 7 out of 9 wrecks with 2 wrecks getting a fish a drop each for over 2hrs...best was just over 8lb mix of cod and ling.

4 solid days of fishing coming up this week if the weather stays the same.
                            ................__................................ .............................
                            ____[ ~ \_____
                            [__On-A-Roll__/
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            P.B
                            SKATE 204lb
                            COD 51lb
                            LING 32lb
                            TOPE 40lb
                            CONGER 25lb
                            HADDOCK 10lb
                            HALIBUT 37lb
                            COALIE 16lb
                            BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by drifter View Post
                              Yes it was really good to be out and if we get a decent run of Westerlies we should see a lot more catch reports. Did you get any Wrasse? we get the occasional Wrasse but yesterday I had at least 5 good sized fish which we immediately returned. I know the Portuguese regard them as a delicacy but has anyone got an opinion on Wrasse being a viable fish for eating.
                              certainly very popular with most europeans---and russians absolutely love them---also good for fish stock i believe much too bonny a fish to eat--so not for this jock
                              AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Working...
                              X