Watching the Experts Fish...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching the Experts Fish...

Due to the foul weather and even fouler work demands this was only our second trip of the year. Leaving the RQs about 6am we immediately headed south to try our luck on the wrecks; however before we even got a rod in the water we were greeted by the site of a pod of dolphins leaping and playing around the boat. To be honest we just switched off and watched them play for about an hour.

Coming back to our senses, on a perfect flat sea, we headed a little further out (only stopping to reward the fish with an impromptu jettisoning of ground bait made up of Friday’s Guinness).

On the way out came across slinky Kate which was already full of happy anglers’ .Went a little further out to about the 7 mile mark where again the fishing took second place to an awesome display of diving by a flock of Gannets. Diving from about 30m up these big fellas really are impressive and clearly rule the roost – the other gulls just bobbed about and kept out of their way.

Anyway – this is a fishing site so whilst no doubt being out done by Dolphins, Slinky Kate and Gannets, the fishing was steady loads of Mackerel and some good whiting coming up in twos and threes and just enough decent cod, nothing massive, to keep us interested.

Shads not that good this sesh, large daylights tipped with fresh Mackerel seemed to be the most effective and perks with a jelly worm lure also hit the spot.

Sadly had to call it a day about 11am due to other commitments.

Tight lines…Tom

nice wee report tom,those gannets are awsome

glad you had a few fish on a beautiful day
    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Good report Tom plenty fish and getting close to nature....nice one..

Comment

Good read Tom , I had a solitary gannet hit the water about 6 ft from the boat yesterday , what sight , they don't half hit at some speed, I've seen them loads of times at a distance and enjoyed watching them , this one yesterday was amazing , all these things add up to making fishing so absorbing.

Comment

Great report Tom, shame on that only being your second trip out so far. I am off in the morning for my fourth trip in six days! back to work in two weeks time though so no fishing for six weeks then!

Graham.

Comment

Nice one Tom, good to see you out there, that wreck we were on has been producing well but only at certain states of the tide ....... except for whiting of which I think we counted 357 being put back (or maybe it was 753 ... not sure ~ )

norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Been out today seems like some life has been abck in the sea, hammered the ling all morning till that tide started again, my dad got a 11ling and a 9lb ling on the same drop his new PB but them bloody whiting can still get a full mackerel fillet down
              ................__................................ .............................
              ____[ ~ \_____
              [__On-A-Roll__/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              P.B
              SKATE 204lb
              COD 51lb
              LING 32lb
              TOPE 40lb
              CONGER 25lb
              HADDOCK 10lb
              HALIBUT 37lb
              COALIE 16lb
              BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Lucked out there Norm I should have dropped a mark on your wreck! I've got the family away up in Orkney next week so hopefully I'll get out and get something a little bigger than whiting!

Comment

Working...
                X