X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate Saturday 4th Aug 2012

Slinky Kate Catch Report Saturday August 4th 2012

Where do I start …. ?

Crew for the day Tony and Scotty, big thanks to you both for the never ending banter. Class

Well it was all against us today (or as some may have thought), forecast was to rain and even maybe some thunder.
    Tides were big so “you never catch on big tides” hmmmm ?
    And reports of late were not good locally by any means (apart from the odd ones here and there of course)

But off we set at the usual time of 4.00am with a view to keeping a little more inshore than usual as offshore lately has been simply a fuel burning exercise with little to show for the miles travelled.

With the high tide at 5.20am and dawn only popping up at about 4.30am this left us little of the favoured flood to fish in and we eagerly stopped off as soon as possible outside the piers to check out the “inside-inshore" marks (x,xx and xxx)
    Timed at something like 4.35am just 5 minutes or so after exiting the harbour was the first codling of the day a fine specimen of about 5lb it was even (almost) too dark to take a video of it …….
    So, it seemed we were onto a winner , early out, early catch then bag up and early away home ……. … unfortunately not as early as that

After another 30 mins and the flood was loosing its grip we decided to try a wreck on the 4 mile mark, not too far but not too close ……
    BINGO, this was certainly the place to be at 5.30am this morning ….
    It was stuffed with about everything a weekend fisherman could wish for …
    Mackerel by the string, whiting in singles, double headers and trebles, The biggest coley I’ve seen locally for some time and of course, Cod galore

It was a case of make hay while the sun shone (well it did shine eventually) and boy did we make hay was good to see so many species keepable, in particular the coley that were well in the cod keeper size range ...

By 7.45am we'd almost filled the first box and had to start re-arranging them to keep tidy .. no seriously large fish in the doubles but many many in the 4-5lb range .... (not a 7 1/2lb for scottys pb I'm afraid ... that'll have to wait.)

around about 9.00am suddenly ... it stopped, as the tide stood in slack water ........

We almost called it a (fantastic) day at this point but decided to stay a while longer and visit a more inshore spot that kind of has a bit of a reputation for me and Tony,reputation that is for us both loosing fish there . Maybe its just that in the shallow water they fight more so loosen the hook or maybe it's just coincidence I don't know but it was time to put the myth to bed. .......

on the way ................ WOW we came across a pod of dolphins (or porpoise I'm unsure) there must have been 30,40 maybe 50 and boy did they want to play What a sight after such a great days fishing to meet up with this lot ....... luckily we had a camera at hand
    Many thanks at this point to Tony who although I seem to get the credit for videos it's Tone that takes the most of them I'm just the editor
    great stuff with the dolphins Tone

well, excitement over we still had the myth to sort out .......
    within minutes of arriving I dug into what was surely my best of the day and up it came, after a good fight, to the surface and seemed to have both rig hooks in it safe as houses .... not! as it looked at me and spit the hook, flicked the tail and dived deep ....
    Bewildered by yet another escape at this spot I was about to bait up again as Scotty shouted "It's up again", twas almost like a scene from Jaws ... . Then it vanished .... only to hear yet again from Scotty that it had broke surface. This time as it struggled to dive we managed to make a bee line for it with tony Gaff in hand ......... at last it was boated and became the best of the day ...... at 8 1/2 lb
    As the laughs subsided Tony dug into another nice fish seemingly of similar size ....... Yup your right in your thoughts this too hit surface looked us in the eye (and the camera) spit the hook and dived deep ..... never to be seen again. ..... the myth continues ........

We ended the day with a box of cod and a box of big Coley ..... spot on day, fishing in the sunshine the way it should be, with good friends.

Many thanks to crew for the day Tony and Scotty, was good to let Scotty see what a really good day at sea is all about ..... and what a bonus the dolphins were.

as ever just a few pics of the day, and hopefully a video at the end if its loaded to youtube ok

Tony's first Codling of the day ..

And a one for Scotty

and another for me

Excellent stamp of Coley

The one that almost got away

Scotty deep in thought ...

and another coley for Tone ...

and one of our friends of the day ....

and the usual shot but this time with a box of coley as well ... Fillets

Many Thanks for taking the time to read

and all being well this should be the video .... click the quality button for best viewing .... Slinky Kate 4th August 2012 - YouTube

cheers

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Well done lads, great report and pics

Scotty had us landlubbers all excited with his early hints

Looked nice out there

Jonny
    PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Well done lads , the report, pics and video were well worth waiting for....like the dolphin shots....

Comment

Good haul lads, cracking report and pics

Comment

Great Report Norm, thanks for posting.
          that shot of the dolphin is especially good.

Paul

Comment

as ever norman...quality report, pics and ( i reckon ) an award winning video.., some big fish there, ....dolphins heh heh, shame about the ones that got away... the way i felt today, i'd of been in after them..

gold for you today mate...

shame we didn't have the same luck.....

well done team slinky............did tony swear on video today ?

Comment

Originally posted by easyfish1 View Post
              did tony swear on video today ?
              If you can lip read you may find the answer

Thoroughly enjoyable day in every regard. It's always great getting out but occasionally there are days that stand out and this was one of them

Cheers as ever Norman and thanks for the filleting lesson
              Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE

Comment

Great stuff lads, quality report as ever.
                Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Top draw lads
                  REGARDS BOSH

Comment

once agane thanx norman what a day to be out on the slinkey kate the best days fishing for me eva sun sea and happy to be lyk a say no pb for me but thers always next time who needs a bp with the day we hade to day was just ment for us aye think and nice to cach up with tony too hope next time am out it will be my bp as the trips r just getting betta
                    Cod can only juge me if am a haddock https://www.facebook.com/groups/141034916010629/

Comment

gr8 gr8 report cracking snaps
                      KEEP AHAD LADS IF THINGS DONT CHANGE THEY WILL STAY THE SAME

Comment

Great read Norman, it was dolphins nearly every trip last year for me, I havn't seen any yet this year .

Comment

Cracking video Norman and a great report.

Graham.
                          Last edited by Graham B; 04-08-2012, 09:46 PM. Reason: Spelling, Doh!

Comment

team slinky strikes again

absolutely fantastic report pics,and excellent video
                            AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Another Mills & Boon.............sorry, Norm& Tony classic Like you say Norman, sometimes you can just forget the rule book, just catch the tide at the right point even on a massive tide, and things can go very well. Class vid, looks like the best day of the year out there. Ace
                              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                              X