Growler 30/05/2011 Third time lucky!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growler 30/05/2011 Third time lucky!

After an enforced absence from fishing for me due to work today was the first day off for over nine weeks for me! I looked at the forecast for the week when I got home last friday and plumped for a week all inclusive in Turkey due to the pants forecast and the fact that the brownie points earned would come in handy for the six weeks off I have now!

With the weather being kind it was off to a distant mark at 0600 after seeing Amblecol sneaking out this morning. On arrival there were a load of dolphins around, they had a good look at us and surrounded the boat for a while within touching distance. I managed a drop down inbetween them and got a treble shot of herring!

Photo's of the dolphins:

After the dolphins departed and we had spent half an hour with them we started fishing properly an it was straight into fish with Micky hitting two at a time and me one first drop. The fish in the morning all fell to pirks and baited muppets with the obliging mackeral now all over and being a bugger to get down through.

Some good cod and ling were coming in and I managed the first double of the season with this ling, Just over 11lb.

At slack tide the fish went off a bit and we moved to another couple of marks still picking away. We were headed to one but the Natalie Kristen was on it and had a load of fish from it I heard later!

We moved back out to the original mark with the start of the flood tide and the fish started going daft for shads, on one drift I managed to get three fish out, one at a time, the drift was spot on!

Micky had the biggest cod of the day at just shy of 9lb.

And also a canny ling again just short of a double.

The final tally was quite high with a load of fish returned as well, particularly the shad caught ones in the afternoon. We had a quick go at trolling on the way in but nothing was doing, maybe a little early yet.
    I was going to head out at first light tomorrow but it looks a bit blusterry so I will wait until later on in the week!

Can't wait!

Graham.
    Last edited by Graham B; 30-05-2011, 08:46 PM. Reason: Adding Dolphin and other photo's

some quality fish there, well done..browny points go a long way ...new bathroom....no probs, oh, did i tell you i'm fishing for the next few.......

Comment

Great report mate, looks like Bank Holiday Mondays been good for most people
      2011 Catch's so far
      ---------------------------------------
      Cod: 13 / Ling: 0 / Herring: 4 / Pollock: 1
      Biggest: Cod 6Lb
      ---------------------------------------

Comment

well done on the catch,youve got some cracking fish there!

Comment

Great report Graham, and well done on the double ling, and Micky for his 9 pounder , just think, 6 weeks of this ahead, do you think you'll cope

Comment

Nice one Graham, some good sized fish there ... congrats ..

great report and pics as ever .... cheers

norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

3rd time is a charm and the sea today along with the fishing was ALMOST worth the wait.

Nice1
              ................__................................ .............................
              ____[ ~ \_____
              [__On-A-Roll__/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              P.B
              SKATE 204lb
              COD 51lb
              LING 32lb
              TOPE 40lb
              CONGER 25lb
              HADDOCK 10lb
              HALIBUT 37lb
              COALIE 16lb
              BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Nice first day back at it Graham , hopefully a few more in the next six weeks to go with it I missed you today , I think I actually got out before you and came back in after you
                I had a good day too, nothing massive , but plenty of them up to 7lbs or so.

Ray

Comment

Was that you at the North end of the Island Ray about two-ish? We headed in but you were on your way as we arrived. We are off to have a look at that boat tomorrow! Would have went today but the fishing was too good to leave!

Graham.

Comment

Great report and pics well done on your catch

Comment

good tactics with the brownie points,....... what a man has to do !!

great report and pics, did you do owt on shads/sidewinders.
                      majic to see the dolphins

well done
                      Paul

Comment

Nice report and pictures, well done on the catch.

Comment

Good one lads, must have been nice to see the dolphins.

Comment

Well done Mr B & Mr C, you went a bit further than me and probably caught more but it was great to not have wind. I thought I had slyed past you without you seeing! I just fished up to Foxton in the little boat for 40 cod and plenty of macky - back in at 1.30. Had a couple of hours this afternoon for 15 best about 8lb. No pollack yet but I might try again next week. No doubt see you at marina again soon - keep catching.

Comment

Nice one! Great catch and report! Bet your pleased to be back Graham!

Comment

Working...
                              X