Saturday 21st May "Emilia Jayne" Belated Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturday 21st May "Emilia Jayne" Belated Report

We finally got the boat back in the water on Friday after all the work we'd done sprucing her up for the season ahead, so we were desperate to get out as soon as poss! I was frantically checking the usual websites all week, and despite the windy forecast we decided to give it a go.

We were up for 3am, travelling by 3:30 & heading out of Seaton Sluice harbour for about 4am, sun just threatening to come up over the horizon. Well, once we got out into the open sea the "No Incoming Swell" was more like 2.5 - 3ft once you got any distance away from the shore! We therefore decided to stay inshore & started the day by dropping the lobster pot off beside St. Mary's.

On my first drop I reeled in a small codling which was safely returned back to the sea. Little did I know this would be the only cod caught all day! :s We had a few more drifts around the lighthouse and eventually got into a brief shoal of mackerel, still only caught 4 of them though then it was quiet again.

We moved a little past the lighthouse and dropped into what I now call 'Coaly Bay' because it was riddled with the little buggers! They were coming up in 2's & 3's every single drop, but they were all under-size & becoming a nuisance so we decided to move away from the lighthouse and upon doing so, it all went quiet again. For the rest of our time out there we maybe caught 2 or 3 small coalies and we were getting a bit fed up so decided to head back. It was about 8am by this point so we wouldn't have been out much longer anyway due to the tide restrictions for getting in & out the harbour.

On the way back in we searched for the buoy off the lobster pot... and searched... and searrrched... but alas it was nowhere to be seen! We hunted all around but couldn't find it anywhere so it had either been washed away somehow (not sure how as we've used it in worse conditions and it was fine), or it was picked up by someone else. Either way, it was gone so we just headed back in, a little disappointed.

Talked to a few people on the way back in and it seems everyone else had a poor show too, but I was still glad just to get out and that everything was working as it should on the boat.

I would add some pics but there was nothing worth snapping. Even the sunrise was a let down due to the clouds. Harrumph! Hopefully the next trip out will be more fruitful!

All the best.

Steve

Pity about the lack of fish there's always next time.

Comment

Good report to read , shame about the lack of fish and the lobster pot , but at least you got out there, and tried the boat out..

Comment

atleast you got out,hope you have better luck next time out!

Comment

Well done on the report Steve, always difficult to write up when the catch has been below par .... we suffered the same demise on Saturday as well (in much the same area for part of the time) .... didn't see your pot

never mind good to get out and feel the sea air ..... more fish left for next time.

nice report mate.

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

This wind cant go on for a 5th weekend in a row can it??? we tried and just about failed on Friday with only 1 keeper cod, guess it measn they will get a chance to spawn as the previous week out of the 8 cod i kept 6 full of row and not far away from dropping.

Until next time err, if this wind lifts..so far its gusting 30+ well into the weekend again but then again they are not often right as you fond out with the "no incomming swell" i just ignor that balls now, it said that on Friday and the waves crashing over Tynemouth pier by 10ft lol
            ................__................................ .............................
            ____[ ~ \_____
            [__On-A-Roll__/
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            P.B
            SKATE 204lb
            COD 51lb
            LING 32lb
            TOPE 40lb
            CONGER 25lb
            HADDOCK 10lb
            HALIBUT 37lb
            COALIE 16lb
            BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

yeah Rich, forcast gives only an idea .... go and see for yourself on the morning of the sail is the only way.
              Mind you it does work both ways, I`ve had many a trip out whilst charter boats have had to cancel the day before only to find it was ok ........

norm
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

It’s always good to get the first trip of the season even if the fishing was dissapointing. Well done getting out and getting up so early .

I’ve had a couple of pots vanish from near StMary’s, but I’ve also found several, often in pieces, washed up on the shore there too. What was your pot marker like; I’ll keep an eye out on sea and beach for it?

Comment

Well done on getting out ,just a shame about your catch better luck next time out

Comment

Thanks for your replies, and yes hopefully next time will be more successful, but still nice to have a day out at sea and even better when everything on the boat works out as expected!

As for the lobster pot, foolishly we did not have any sort of ID tag on the buoy, just a hard red/orange buoy. We only ever leave it out for the duration we are out at sea, never overnight, and its usually within our sight the whole time so never thought it to be a problem. Need to get our other one properly tagged up, just been one of those things we've put off and forgot about I guess. Actually, whilst on the subject, I read on here somewhere about a (free) 'license' that you should have to be putting out pots. Would this apply to us who are just putting out 1 pot for a couple of hours & not leaving them unattended (ie not leaving them out overnight after coming back into the harbour). Just want to make sure we wouldn't get into any trouble if we were randomly inspected or anything, so if we need one of these licenses then Ill be sure to get one before putting out any more pots.

Anyways, fingers crossed the forecast changes a bit and I can get out this Sunday because Im champing at the bit now after a little taster last week!!

All the best.

Comment

The licence organisation has just changed so people will need to replace their tags with new ones. Contact these people Northumberland Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Authority (NIFCA) and ask for your free tags. If you fish with five pots or fewer and don’t sell your catch you are entitled to the white tags. These come with a small rule-book and covers the area north of the Tyne.

Comment

Working...
                      X