16.04.11 - Wicked Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16.04.11 - Wicked Jack

Well a much better day fishing wise than last weekend. Went straight down to Cresswell and got about 20 fish in 3 hours, 10 keepers 10 put back. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Unfortunately I'm still faced with fish finder problems. I originally thought the problem may be connection related, bt after changing all the connecter heads and checking all connection the problem still remains. The unit itself is getting power as when the buttons are pressed they are making noise, but no image is being projected on the screen. So, my dilemma is: do I get it repaired?, Buy an identical head unit in the hope that it works, or do I just buy a brand new sounder system?

If anybody else has experienced this or has any light to shine on the situation I'd be most grateful of some advice/help.

Here's the catch...

Tight Lines

Dave

Nice one mate - great to see it getting busy in this part of the forum, long may it continue
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Comment

welldone on the catch,looks like theres some nice clean cod starting to show there faces another couple of weeks should make the difference i think! sounds like the screens gone on your fish finder,you could allways send it back to the manufacturer and ask them to give you a quote before doing anything to it as sometimes its just aswell to buy a new one for the prices they charge for parts and labour!

Comment

Well done on the catch Dave , it's been a good weekend for everyone , and it's only just started.

Hope you get the Fish Finder, sorted but to be honest, looking at the back of your boat you are doing just fine without one.

Comment

Well done thats a great catch,shame about your fish finder hope you get it sorted

Comment

Well done on the fishing mate. dose the screen light up when the unit is turned on, or is there nothing showing at all. Just wondered if it could be a dry soldered joint or something
            P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

nice catch Dave and well done and returning your smaller fish.
              Alan

Comment

cheers lads, Canman - i think it may be the screen, there is power getting the the unit, as the buttons are making noise when pressed, I'm going to check the transducer just in case....

Comment

fishfinder

Had a very similar problem with mine, sent it back and they said it was fine.I eventually found the problem was the battery, fishfinders need the battery to be fully charged,because my sat nav was on the same battery and worked fine it never occured to me,but sat navs do work on a lesser charge, fish finders need 11.5 v. Anyway it fixed the problem. hope is of some help.

Comment

Cheers for the info Nigel, the only thing is the GPS is reading 12.5 - 13v so I don't think the battery is the problem - I think the inevitable has nearly occured which is buying a new fish finder!! - unfortunately

Comment

Dave, I've got no idea about fish-finders other than we used one on a fishing trip in Sri Lanka and it was a Garmin monochrome LCD type, but I make industrial LCD displays for a living.
                      I'm just wondering does it have a backlight? If it has a backlight and its shagged, maybe it is still displaying something but you can't see it?
                      In which case you need a new backlight (or new screen if the backlight is built in) or a new inverter (the thing that drives the backlight) neither of which should cost anywhere near as much as a new fish finder?
                      Just a thought

Nice catch though!

Comment

Flux - cheers for the advice/info , to be honest I'm not sure if it has either of those, its a Humminbird matrix 55x if that helps at all? If you are local I could always show you it??

Comment

Hi Dave, I don't mind having a look at it for you.
                          I might not be able to fix it, but I might be able to identify where the fault lies, so you could then enquire about cost of repair to a uk dealer?
                          Anyway, I live in Whitley, work in south shields if thats any good to ya?
                          drop me a pm
                          Mick

Comment

Working...
                          X