Wicked Jack 18/4/15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wicked Jack 18/4/15

With the tides being enormous and the wind easterly I elected to collect a load of lug at low water in the morning then meet Graham at the marina at lunchtime.

Equipped with a bucket of prime lug we turned right out of the piers and steamed south. The sea was fine with only a small swell and plenty of tide to drift over the hard ground. Just before we stopped for the first drift we noticed a huge depth variation with was duly noted on the GPS in case we fancied giving it a go at some point.

Anyway, first hour and a half was extremely quiet with only a coalie and a couple of tiny codling to show (which would have at least saved the blank!). I was tempted to pull up and head further south when Graham suggested giving the area of ground we'd marked at the start a try.

Off we went, lugworm baits down and bang! We were into the fish! We had around 2 hours of pretty steady catching, nothing big mind, best around 2.5lb but around 15 keepers between us for the pan. We roughly estimated around 25 in total all taken on bait - not a daylight, hokki or sidewinder in sight!

As a blanket of cloud came over around 5pm the temperature dropped and we were heading home not long after. All in all good to get the first proper session of the season under our belts, bring on the warmer weather, flat seas and wrecks!

We did see a couple of Porpoise's quite close to the boat also which I tried to video but failed! I'll have to dig out the Go Pro I got for Xmas and give it another go. No pics this time....

I did notice a lot of bird life for this time of year, and a couple of shoals of Sandeels in the marina which has got to be a good sign....not sure what other people think but I've got a feeling this could be a decent season ahead of us (here's hoping).

Until next time, tight lines.

Cheers

nice wee report david--theres a few folks got a good feeling for this year and seems to be off to a good start

i trust the bilge pump issue is resolved
    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Cheers Duncan,

Aye it was just a connection issues so fingers crossed it's ok!

Comment

Nice one David keep them comming
        Cheers Bert

Comment

Good report mate, with a good few fish aboard. Great when a bit of ground you marked delivers.
          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Nice one David , looking good all round it seems for the coming season.
            A lot of small fish around but they have to be small before they grow big so no complaints

Cheers for report

Norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

well done

Comment

Working...
              X