Slinky Kate - Sat 18th April 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate - Sat 18th April 2015

Where was everyone today ?? wow such a sunny day, flat sea but yet quiet ... ??

Well, last weekend was a clean and polish day for Slinky with her bottom duly rubbed down and re-painted (nice and blue again) out the previous Friday and back in again last Monday.

With the reports that have came in from last weekend we were chomping at the bit to be out amongst what appeared to be substantial catches (and not far from home if we read the signs correctly).

So not wanting to miss any time and with a wish to catch our first real sunrise of the year it was meet-up time with Tony at 5.00am prompt (watch this space Mark and Lynne, it'll be more like 3.00am june/july )
    Tony had excelled in his bait supply with bucket upon bucket of rag lug and squid (after reading reports closely).
    So off to the piers at about 5.30am just in time for the sun to rise (or should I say for the sun to sit stationary in the sky as we on earth all turned to meet it) wow what a sight.

With the clean up just behind us I'm pleased to see that we have managed to gain about 2-3 kts at same 3500rpm marker and a rise in total rpm to 4250 from 4000 ... see it is worth all the work especially polishing the prop

We broke through the piers (I must add it was bl@@dy cold) with the sun rising and the thoughts that all we had to do was drop a bent pin in the water and soon the boat would be full ...... errrm forgot it was fishing, the same old curse one week you see it, mountains of fish, the next you dont

Anyway not all bad, soon we were into fish but not big, in fact it took several catches before we could lay claim to a keeper.

We moved from spot to spot both catching but I think Tony more than I on bait as I persevered with lures, but nothing very big.
    It was evident that for some reason not a lot had turned out today, we noticed on return that even a number of charters had not been out, maybe they know a secret we dont , I suppose the very big tide and bad timing of low tide round about midday helped to make these decisions.

Eventually after trying many inshore marks we gave in to the urge of the further out wrecks and headed east (as usual ).
    This did result in a few fish but nothing in the way of catches reported last weekend and non of our catch was big, best about 3lbs.
    But it does just reinforce what the sport of fishing is all about .......i.e. no one can predict it ! .....

Not to be all doom and gloom as to be honest it was a fantastic day out from 5.00 am start to something like 2.00pm after clean up and traditional stella with at least enough fillets to keep us each going until next weekend and a suntan to boot.

low points of the day NONE
    highpoints of the day - everything, and the superb company (oh and slinky eels working so soon in the season)
    levelers of the day ...... once again, its never the same twice, and never easy.
    Surprises of the day ..... lack of boats afloat on a wonderful sunny day

All in all yet another wonderful Slinky Kate trip, rather cold but lots of sunshine and enough fish to keep us busy (even though most of them went back to grow bigger)

Just a few pics of the day ..... as ever

Initial view of the River sunrise from marina exit ...

The sea looking almost like chocolate as the sun climbs in the sky ....

Tony with an early Codling ...

And a one for myself ....

And especially for "Sixfoot Steve" Just to show theres lots of scotchies still around and waiting or him ....

Another for myself but as you can see the condition is excellent but the size poor .......

Tony having a bit of wreck finding experience ......

Then after a day on the sea the few minutes rest at the lock back in ...

Not a lot to show and probably a lot more expensive than the fishmongers but no where near as exciting .....

Cant wait for the next trip

Cheers Tony great company

Thanks all for reading ....

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Nice one Norman lovely morning we waited till it warmed up a bit might try a early one next week 😀
    Beat them in their own back yard

Comment

Yeah Stephen was sure cold at 5.00 but worth it for the sunrise, seen yous heading further out, quite slow early on but picked up.

See you at 5 next week

Norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Picked a few up on the one on the outside of you's squid and crab and the first blood of the year for a shad to. One to keep in mind for next week
        Beat them in their own back yard

Comment

Aye Stephen great stuff will keep that in mind,one biggie for me today was a slinky eel catching clean in the scissors unbaited (Orange)

Norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Cheers Norman...still trying to figure out the file sharing but will sort soon I'm sure

My own sunrise pic from today

Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
            I AGREE

Comment

Lovely pictures as usual Norman and Tony.

You set off at 05:30 and wonder where everyone is 15 boats were at StMary’s Can by the early hour of 10:30, half of them from the RQ, including a yacht fishing the drift with the rest of us.

Comment

aye Kev true lol

But really I meant around about 9.00 to 12.00 when we are usually squeezing between boats on the common wrecks .... But not today ?

But a great day

Norm
                ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

It's great to see Somme fish coming aboard but they have got some growing to do the seasons started well early

Comment

Great report and photos Norman, but 3am!! Yikes, Lynn up at that time will be a first!
                    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Few underwater pics clipped from the vids

Norman will be pleased with one of them in particular

Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

As always a cracking read and top class pictures, Also good to see the hard work cleaning and polishing has made running better. Keep em coming lads!

Sean
                        The beautifull South

Comment

belter report--belter pictures---good one
                          AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Sean, yeah I took a few tests before the lift out ref speeds rpm etc.
                            The polished prop gives me more rpm per fuel (as I know the T.W.O. Rpm is higher , and then holding comparative rpm we are getting more speed thru water so bonus twice there

Dunc, cheers mate nice comment. (As are everyone's)

Tone, the underwater shots (wel, all really) are way above expectations, and the eel take is tremendous. Cheers

Norm
                            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Fantastic report Norman and great fish photos. Superb sunrise photo Tony, simply stunning.
                              Just got back from holiday last night, sounds like I've missed some good fishing. Can't wait to get out there.
                              P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
                              X