No announcement yet.

jigging vs uptideing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any, I might add that the 10% skill will catch 90% of the fish but not 100% of the time,,,if you get my drift.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    25/11/14

Visited 3 wrecks, anchored in 3 inshore uptiding locations, used shads, cart, squid, hokkais

result: you guessed...a BLANK
    not having a go but it makes a point
    Last edited by alcaucin; 08-01-2015, 05:51 AM. Reason: new info
    •Secretary not permanent fixture until screwed on top of desk
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
    :man with hole in pocket feel cocky all day

PB COD 22LB (BOAT) Grafter h'pool
    LING 21LB (BOAT) Esmeralda h'pool
    CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
    THORNBACK RAY 13LB (BOAT) ULLAPOOL
    COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
    CARP 30LB CANADA
    PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

maybe luck is not knowing why you catch so many fish and skill is knowing why you don't but aren't lucky enough to change it. i'm going back to bed! no luck there either. not even a nibble.
      Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
      COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
      CARP 30LB CANADA
      PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

on the subject of jiggers, just knocked up some 250 gm speed jiggers, anybody had any luck(ooops) using them. they are covered in heat shrink and I added some glow in the dark tape to some.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010458.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1523695

Name:	p1010456.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1523696
        Last edited by alcaucin; 08-01-2015, 06:46 AM.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
        COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
        CARP 30LB CANADA
        PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Originally posted by alcaucin View Post
          if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any, I might add that the 10% skill will catch 90% of the fish but not 100% of the time,,,if you get my drift.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          25/11/14

Visited 3 wrecks, anchored in 3 inshore uptiding locations, used shads, cart, squid, hokkais

result: you guessed...a BLANK
          not having a go but it makes a point
          Read my catch reports...I am actually useless at uptiding !!

Comment

I do read them, not having a go but I think we all like to think that it is down to skill when we have a good day and bad luck when we don't. We are all in the same boat. Not here to ruffle feathers so not going to fall out over a point of view. I've fished many times in near perfect conditions with fish showing all over but blanked and vice versa.... why? if I only knew. We've all been there when the bloke next to you is fishing identical rigs to you , he catches and you don't, or a novice wipes the floor with you...why? i'll put the unknown down to luck, good or bad.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
            COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
            CARP 30LB CANADA
            PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

I do read them, not having a go but I think we all like to think that it is down to skill when we have a good day and bad luck when we don't. We are all in the same boat. Not here to ruffle feathers so not going to fall out over a point of view. I've fished many times in near perfect conditions with fish showing all over but blanked and vice versa.... why? if I only knew. We've all been there when the bloke next to you is fishing identical rigs to you , he catches and you don't, or a novice wipes the floor with you...why? i'll put the unknown down to luck, good or bad.
              i cant confirm that

what you say only applies for a certain day...

if you look over a longer period its always the same guys who catch.

look at the charters...always the same do well
              look at Richie (on a roll)...he always catches the most and the best whilst everyone else winghes how dead it is.

I know one two skippers in Capetown, who I cannot remember that they had a blank in 5 years or so whilst others in the local forums complain and winghe that there is nothing...

i also dont want to talk fishing too much into a science, because it is a hobby...

but the sad (to me enjoyable) fact is that it is a very complex science including biology, physics, meteorology, marine biology, psycholy and many more)and we far away from understanding it fully....

but the better you understand the patterns of it, the more you will catch: thats a fact and not an opinion

Comment

well i'll leave it at that, all I know is I've fished on days that scientifically should have yielded fish but didn't and been out when I shouldn't have had a bite but did very well and I know there are some very skilled fishermen who make their living from delivering the goods but even they cannot guarantee to catch 100% of the time although they are very consistent. I think that the original point I was making was that you must be prepared to think out of the box and experiment because the fish don't always play fair. But hey it's a hobby and do what ever makes it enjoyable if it gets to the point that doing everything by the book isn't working then try something else. I get pleasure from making lures and catching fish on them and do this regular, using them not catching. Being able to fish is a godsend, catching fish is a bonus doing both at the same time is heaven.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                CARP 30LB CANADA
                PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

well i'll leave it at that, all I know is I've fished on days that scientifically should have yielded fish but didn't and been out when I shouldn't have had a bite but did very well and I know there are some very skilled fishermen who make their living from delivering the goods but even they cannot guarantee to catch 100% of the time although they are very consistent. I think that the original point I was making was that you must be prepared to think out of the box and experiment because the fish don't always play fair. But hey it's a hobby and do what ever makes it enjoyable if it gets to the point that doing everything by the book isn't working then try something else. I get pleasure from making lures and catching fish on them and do this regular, using them not catching. Being able to fish is a godsend, catching fish is a bonus doing both at the same time is heaven.
                  Reading this post of yours make me believe that we think very similar.

The beauty of having access to a boat means that we have the freedom to do all those different things like night fishing, evening wrecking, trolling, uptiding, anchoring on a wreck, flatfish on sand banks etc..

We also do not need to listen to customers, who insist on wrecking on a hopeless day or insist on staying inshore when the wrecks are on fire.

I always hear that being out on a boat is nice enough and the catching is only a bonus....but to me that is a little bit like playing football without scoring...unsatisfying.

Just one comment:

I am yet to experience a day in summer, when the tides are right, where we did not catch well on the wrecks
                  I also do not think we had a blank in December and January whilst uptiding, when the tides are right

The problems with blanks and very difficult days only seem to occur in Spring when the water is green and in autumn when we either have super big or very small tides
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 02:45 PM.

Comment

on the subject of jiggers, just knocked up some 250 gm speed jiggers, anybody had any luck(ooops) using them. they are covered in heat shrink and I added some glow in the dark tape to some.

[ATTACH]11497[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]11498[/ATTACH]
                    I think your jigs are outstanding !! They will most definetely work.

The only reason, I do not like using jigs is that they are very snaggy and expensive to lose.

I make my own sinkers for that reason...

It seems that you make them totally yourself ??!! Excellent.

How much do you reckon you produce them for per piece?

Comment

This is the best NON-catch report ever posted in the Catch report section ever !

Back to the question first asked ! In my opinion its a seasonal thing relating to water colour etc ....uptiding is just baitfishing at anchor in winter or summer months in these parts of the country ..and pirking is my favourite for of fishing and is a summer month thing !

Luck is a small part of fishing .........but knowing the best spots and using your local knowledge of tides winds and drifts and the way wrecks lie and reefs etc etc you can have a better chance of being lucky
                      Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpoleman View Post
                        This is the best NON-catch report ever posted in the Catch report section ever !

Back to the question first asked ! In my opinion its a seasonal thing relating to water colour etc ....uptiding is just baitfishing at anchor in winter or summer months in these parts of the country ..and pirking is my favourite for of fishing and is a summer month thing !

Luck is a small part of fishing .........but knowing the best spots and using your local knowledge of tides winds and drifts and the way wrecks lie and reefs etc etc you can have a better chance of being lucky
                        Uptiding is more than just fishing on anchor. The intention is to use the tide to your advantage to distribute the scent of your bait.

Proper uptiding (other than anchorfishing) therefore only works, if the tidal drift is strong enough...my impression for my boat this is 05 knots of drift.

Another observation is that uptiding at daytime does not seem to work in sea temperatures above 10C...but in the minute the water temp drops below, its on fire.

Comment

Can one of the mods put this in the talking Sh@te section

Comment

I actually prefer fishing with shad, I love the feel of a fish tugging at the shad and trying to control myself and not striking. I do not like using trebles on jiggers as they snag too easy and so use big 10/0 singles or doubles but they really need to be worked hard over the wreck which is tiring , so I switch to shad. Haven't tried ]the jiggers as a speed jig more interested in getting them down quick rather than reeling them up like a man possessed. imagine really up frantically for 50metres only to be hit by a 40lb plus tuna near the top, not my idea of fun. I know you won't get them here but just emphasising there design use. hers some lures I made a while ago which done quite well

Name:	P1010232.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1523697

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                            COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                            CARP 30LB CANADA
                            PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

Originally posted by Topfly View Post
                              Can one of the mods put this in the talking Sh@te section
                              ok don't want to upset the locals, i'll bow out. goodnight.

CONGER 30LB (BOAT) IOM
                              COD 12LB PIER(middleton)
                              CARP 30LB CANADA
                              PIKE 25LB SCOTLAND

Comment

I love this thread!
                                2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Working...
                                X