Eleda 18 August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eleda 18 August

With the weather being windy of late a small window of opportunity presented itself this morning and not knowing when another might happen along I decided to take it.
    It needed an early start so I almost caught the sunrise this morning ,( I still wouldn't have managed a picture like those that come from Slinky Kate though ) ..the plan was to set off on a dying ebb tide and fish a wreck over slack water at around 7am. All went well as far as getting up and to the boat , the rods were set up and off I went .
    First I had to catch mackerel for bait , no problem , set the boat up over the wreck , lobbed a string of mini hokkais over theside and caught a couple of dozen in the time it took the boat to drift an 1/8 mile or so , back up the drift and set the cod rig up with nice fresh bloody mackerel .
    The drift was quite fast , the tide was still ebbing and the wind was pushing me in the same direction............couldn't get a touch no matter what I tried.
    What to do???? The next nearest wreck was another 4 miles away and further out to sea , Mmmm
    What the hell , I thought , might as well have a go at it , there were three all close together so off I went to try them........................ nothing!!!
    Another wreck showing a couple of miles south ..... off i went again........ nothing again , and again on the next one and the next one DOH!!!
    "The ling wreck" I thought.... bound to be a fish or two on there , but it was nearly six more miles away............... I went
    By this time I'd lost most of my bigger rigs and a whole lot of lead to various nets and assorted tackle magnets associated with the wrecks I'd been on.
    I resorted to a home made 7/0 octopus on a boom and baited with half a side of fresh mackerel , bound to catch a ling with that I thought (probably said it out loud actually , I've noticed i talk quite a lot even on my own)
    Down it went , bumped along the whole length of the wreck , dropped off the end into the scour and wham!..... solid resistance , the nice kind that feels like you've hooked a spring
    Up it grudgingly came , nodding ,pulling , taking line , once again i was sure it had to be a ling , once again I was wrong and it was a nice big cod 8lb 12oz I didn't care if I caught any more , it was a belter.
    A couple of drifts later I had a small ling then hit into another leviathon , surely this one was a double , much stronger than the first one and fighting all the way to the boat , another cod , hooked fair and square in the mouth , yet only about 6lb ( I say only , that's a big cod to me , but I would have bet money it was going to be bigger than the first one)
    The wind was getting up , the clouds were leaking a bit and I decided it was best to head nearer home , some time later just as I approached coquet Island the motor spluttered as the last remaining dregs of fuel from this mornings full 26 litres were sucked up from the tank , I stopped the boat and switched to a new tank of fuel and headed behind the island.
    I picked up another nice codling of about 4 or 5 lb from a mark that always seems to hold a cod or two and decided to call it a day.
    I was home for 12.30 pm , Richy says he'd rather catch one ten pounder than ten 3lbers , I know exactly what he means , but I'm happy as long as I catch a fish..... three gooduns is Valhalla as far s I'm concerned
    I've got a pic of them on my camera , a boring one like I usually take , I'm not really into photographs and stuff I just like to be there , do it and remember it in my head , but if I can remember how to do it I'll add it to the post later.

Ray
    Last edited by oldessox; 19-08-2009, 09:15 PM.

Well a few fish and a few hours out beats what most of us did...work

Nice one on the cod "dont they arf hang on"
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Great report that Ray ,you sound well pleased and so you should .

Sitting here reading it made me envious as I like most had to work , mind you I'm pleased for you ( honest .)

Looking forward to the picture as it always makes a report better.
      You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Great report Ray pleased your still getting into fish and cod too nice one!!
        Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Well done Ray - I'm always happy catching fish and while a "Trophy" fish is always aspired to (I've only caught one to date) it's nice to catch a box full for the pot. I prefer the smaller Cod coz they scrap like **** - a 4/5lber on the end going mental in 30ft of water is a great feeling
          Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
          I AGREE

Comment

Excellent report Ray, carbon copy of some of our days out. Sometimes you think it`s just not going to happen no matter how far you travel , then it just takes off, as it seems it did for you . Nice one mate well done great report.

I only really like the big ones on competition days haha ........

cheers mate

norm
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Got bored halfway through reading this.as long winded as the weather

Comment

Originally posted by ivatoofmissing View Post
                When you have something positive too say then by all means share it but if not please spare us your negative coments about a good and well respected members efforts to share his experience that is a brief encounter on a hard month!!
                Ivan

Comment

Ha ha , If you think that's long winded , wait till I catch a 20 ,Welcome to the forum, it's a great place full of fishy stories and some absolutely brilliant photography and film making , the best part about it is , you don't have to read or watch any of it if you don't want to
                  I think you missed a bit when you last picked your nose mate

Ray

Comment

elida

what only 1 toof ,

tightlines lop

Comment

LOL sat here tying pulley rigs for the winter season and wondered how this would pan out - great response Ray
                      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Wallsendo View Post
                        LOL sat here tying pulley rigs for the winter season and wondered how this would pan out - great response Ray
                        LOL Not like you Tony tyin rigs lookin for gossip

Oh and goodn Ray
                        Ivan

Comment

Sat here listening to Radcliffe & Maconie on Radio 2 with the Newcastle Match on BBC Sport auto-refreshing in the other tab - tis all very serene

Ameobi again - couldn't make it up
                          Ooh a new vid!

I AGREE

Comment

Great report fully enjoyed the read its always great to hear how we're all doing hope you can get the pic downloaded

Comment

Finally worked out how to download (or is it upload ) pics again , I'll have to put a pic on every time I post so It gets instilled in my memory how to do it lol.

Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X