Pollack Trolling Aug 9th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollack Trolling Aug 9th

Got the shout from a friend to go pollack trolling from Amble and headed off 6am, weather perfect - overcast and a bit ripple. We fished with two lines from the rear of the boat towing paravanes and three rubber eels on each.Towed over peaks and kelp beds and started catching small at first but got better with a few of the bigger ones hitting double figures. A great and different way to fish, some of the takes are aggresive, only downside is the long traces mean you have to handline the last bit in. Lucky enough to have caught enough for the three of us and some for the freezer.

First time I've loaded pics so hope this works.

looks like ya had a cracking day out mate good report and some topper fishing

Comment

Excellent nice to see you coming up trumps with targeting and catching, Big well done lovely haul
      Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Cracking that, i have always thought about trying that around St Marrys but never done it.

Very well done.

I am out tomora and maybe tempted to try that, i have looked at down rigger systems for traveling along at 5-6k but it looks like i would have to drop down at 2k to get the lead to stay at mid water.

Nice ones lads
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

great post and pics col, well done mate. Certainly adds to the fun when you target a species and it comes up trumps .....

and boy can them pollack fight

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Nice catch might get me sel some of them red eels to have a go next time I'm out. Is there a spot to try or is it just trolling about. Fancied trying in front of the island seems very kelpy there but theres always loads of pots in the way.

George............

Comment

I tried it today close in with a red gill at 3k at Souter and landed a 4lb codling lol, you cant win
              ................__................................ .............................
              ____[ ~ \_____
              [__On-A-Roll__/
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              P.B
              SKATE 204lb
              COD 51lb
              LING 32lb
              TOPE 40lb
              CONGER 25lb
              HADDOCK 10lb
              HALIBUT 37lb
              COALIE 16lb
              BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Had another try last night (Tues) and had 14 but not as good a size as Sunday but still great sport. The eels I use are those mustad gummimac ones with the bent hooks and swivels on, sizes 6/0 and 10/0 on a trace about 15ft behind a plastic paravane.They will go down about 20 - 30 feet so we troll over peaks and ledges in the 35 to 15 ft range. Would be nice to hear if this method works on other grounds where you fish. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Working...
                X