X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate 13th June 2009

Slinky Kate Catch Report Saturday June 13 2009

The adventure .................

Due to unforseen circumstances (pressure of work) Steve unfortunately missed the boat today ...
    However Tony and myself soldiered on .......
    Shame steve really as there were seven doubles caught today .............. (all reported off the norway coast mind not off the tyne ) (except for richies that is )

In an effort to catch the flood tide it resulted in yet another 3.00am start , which it turned out for both Tony and myself to be really just a late finish to yesterday (12 hrs late ) since neither of us could sleep with the thought of the alarm going off a 2.00 am.

The weather and the forcasting of late has been a bit hit and miss so I was a touch unsure as to whether or not we would actuly make it out, so , after getting / staying up at 1.30am I looked out to find a slight easterly wind (bah) and a fair amount of rain in the ever dark sky.

In an effort to make the correct decision I decided to set off earlier than I had even thought and have a run the long way around to the marina and see for myself what the coast was like. So, bag packed, sarnies in pocket, I left home at about 2.15am for the "coastal route"

apart from feeling the cold slight easterly wind and the slight rain it was a bit of waste of time as it was too dark to see anything past the edge surf ......

still, it sounded flatish

Eventually got to marina with 5 minutes to spare where Tony was already as ever waiting, we decided pretty quickly to give it a go so ................ off we went (in the almost dark)

No nice sunrises today (although daylight came about 4.00am ish) since there was a thick layer of cloud along the horizon that would take till all of 9.00am (5 hours away) to burn through.

The Fishing ..................

Started in our usual close in spot with flowing traces and lures in an effort to find what would catch .......................... nothing !
    The first 30 minutes seen us biteless ... until .......... it started ......... you couldnt hit bottom for them ...
    No, Not mackerel, but scotchies, of all sizes ........ today I`m convinced that I have taken Steves all time record for number of scotchies boated, so many even richy could not have kept count , and so big , ......... Tony took the record with a (Weighed) 2lbder

The Catch ......

Mackerel, yes - they arrived over a wreck about 3 mile out all good sized and no doubt Tony will comment on the taste very shortly
    Whiting, yes - but not a lot
    Scotchies yes yes yes yes and yes .... as mentioned
    Codling, Yes - but not as many as we`d have liked and the best at only about 4 - 5 lbd
    Ling, Yes - but small size
    Wrasse, yes - a nice little ballan to myself
    Oh and an octopus but while we decided to film it I let it hang too long for the shot and it removed itself (may be lucky and see it in video)

All in all a lot of fish were boated today but the vast majority of them went back to fight another day, a fairly hard day for the "fish on the table" fisherman.
    Seems the wrecks are beginning to produce now that the mackerel have arrived however we did visit a few that were totally void of action

The spring run of small codling - seems to be over for this season
    Hard Ground , still some pickings
    The future this season (my opinion) ..... I think lies in the wrecks from here on in
    A great day as usual with fish after fish arriving (albeit scotchies ) the wind got up about lunchtime and the wearyness hit both Tony and I so we called it a day ............... roll on next week ..

cheers Tony

Fingers crossed next week Steve ...

as ever pictures of the day :- (without a sunrise)

First Fish to Tony a small Ling (first photographable non scotchie type that is )

Tonys big scotchie

and weigh in proof of size

Nice mackerel close to the 1lbd mark

and just to show they're there together ... a string of mackerel

My first codling of the day

and a smaller one to follow

and for the species hunters, a small Ballan Wrasse

As ever a "hastily" put together video .........

same vid but "possibly" better quality ..... your views most welcome

June 13th 2009 Slinky Kate Catch Report on Vimeo

Cheers all

Thanks for reading

PS Well done rich, fantastic fish ............

norm
    Last edited by Norman; 15-06-2009, 08:32 PM.
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

nice report and pics mate welldone was wrasse caught on a wreck?

Comment

As ever another cracking read Norman you defo have the touch to telling a great catch report they remind me of being a kid reading books like the mr crabbtree stuff being totally engrossed
      Well done on the catch and the vids just get better
      couldn't help but notice that Tony on the scotchie on the scales pic looks like he's either just sh@t himself or been electocuted lol good snap (just funnin Tony)

Hope the weather is ok I'm hopin to be out.
      Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Another cracking report. Looks like its worth the anti-social hours that you lads set out.
        All generalisations are false, including this one

Comment

Nah! You've lost it Norm , I'm going to pick Ritchies brains from now on lol. I couldn't get out today and my lads got a footy trial in the morning so the best I can do is an afternoon session tomorrow , I hope the bulk of the fish out of the tyne have just moved north a bit to Amble
          Cracking video again , they are great , I'm going to have a go at making one took me a year to get a picture of my boat on here though , so don't hold yer breath lol.
          Only kidding about picking Ritchies brains , I've got a tenner on slinky hitting it big time next time out.

Ray

Comment

Great report again Norman - love the videos, sound mixing was very impressive.
            "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
            Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Well done lads,good trip out,yet another fantastic report too.

Comment

I thought I'd posted this earlier, must of been the lack of sleep, maybe I didn't hit the submit button. If it disappears this time it's the wine to balme, but we'll not know that cos this will of disappeared

Anyway, cracking report, pics & vid as ever Norman.

I thought I'd asked earlier, were any of the macky sacrificed as fresh bait? had one of those feelings there was a lunker just waiting for a fresh flapper today.
                Cheers, Keith.

Comment

You are drunk Keith
                  "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
                  Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

Well done mate great catch's and vidio
                    keep kids off the streets, give them a rod.

Comment

Got some balls going out in the dark on the boat Norman, i tried it once and was not for me.
                      Mind i can see a few 6.30am starts for me at the weekends from now on as the amount of boats on the inshore marks at weekends is silly now.

Well done on a hard days fishing with the water colour and drift speed.
                      ................__................................ .............................
                      ____[ ~ \_____
                      [__On-A-Roll__/
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                      P.B
                      SKATE 204lb
                      COD 51lb
                      LING 32lb
                      TOPE 40lb
                      CONGER 25lb
                      HADDOCK 10lb
                      HALIBUT 37lb
                      COALIE 16lb
                      BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by northeast1 View Post
                        Got some balls going out in the dark on the boat Norman, i tried it once and was not for me.
                        Mind i can see a few 6.30am starts for me at the weekends from now on as the amount of boats on the inshore marks at weekends is silly now.

Well done on a hard days fishing with the water colour and drift speed.
                        its great at sea in the dark, good for the soul once you convince yourself to stop peering out into the darkness, cos if hasn't got lights on you won't see it anyway till you hit it, so whats the point in looking for stuff you can't see

obviously I exclude 100,000 ton oil tankers with no port light, you just drive around and around them like an annoying wasp till you either work out which direction they are heading or they get fed up and go away
                        ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                        Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Me too how dare I (cue outrage from various quarters)...will respond properly tomorrow
                          Originally posted by Charlie_Thompson View Post
                          You are drunk Keith
                          Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                          I AGREE

Comment

Great stuff but you'll have to go some to beat the 2.5lb scotchie from last year lol
                            You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

cracking report lads and im loving the videos, keep em coming

Comment

Working...
                              X