12.06.09 Stingray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12.06.09 Stingray

Well it was a should we should we not day today.

3 of us headed out ready to bag up like we did the week before.

In the end we ended up heading out about 8miles and hit about 6 wrecks, very poor was the call today, big east roll on 1.2-1.7 drift most of the day and water that looked like a cup of tea.

As expected by the above the fishing was not great, we ended up with 2 ling upto 5lb and 5 codling upto 3lb as well as a hand full of maybe 15 mackerel and a few whiting.

Also just to finish it off i got a bag and rope wrapped around the prop shaft and stopped me dead in the water, could not move forward or back so the outboard was put to use (paid for its self now) got us on the waiting pontoon where i managed to get wet and pull it off.

On a plus side, no one else had much on the other boats so made me feel abit better and i have a cracking tann again from a hot sunny day.

Still a poor day at sea beats a good day at work (if there is such a thing)

No pics today never took the camera.

Heading out Sunday at 7am for a few hours fishing.

el_Sid managed to beat his sea sickness and show me how to catch ling today..well done
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

nice report cheers

Comment

Crikey Rich, an eventful day ........... it`s a heart stopping moment when something like that happens, were you far from home or just in the river.
      Forgot to mention the moment we had last time out when buzzing along at 20kts there was such a thump boom bang that caused me to instantly stop and look around ... we`d hit a partially submerged tree (or similar) ... been watching the bilge with interest for a few weeks now but looks like no damage caused.

Shame about the fishing, we`re out early tomorrow so fingers crossed.

Norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Wind going more south and then bit of west so maybe get a better drift, it was that that caused the poor fishing as could not hold bottom and never stopped letting line off.

It was close to home Norman so not that bad and the back up did its job, lots of bags and that in the river so keep an eye out as heard one more other boat got one wrapped as well.

Prob see you out there Sat.
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

glad you got back ok and the back up done the trick a few fish made it worth while
          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Cheers richy had a great day mate arms and face on fire...

Comment

Good on ya Richy your dead right better than work and at least ya got a few mate I'm hopin sunday sticks to the forcast looks good at this point fingers crossed!!
              Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Yer Sunday looks the best day, smooth the met office saying now.

Just need a settled spell to remove the sand and that out the water and get the fish feeding again.
                ____[ ~ \_____
                [__On-A-Roll__/
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                P.B
                SKATE 204lb
                COD 51lb
                LING 32lb
                TOPE 40lb
                CONGER 25lb
                HADDOCK 10lb
                HALIBUT 37lb
                COALIE 16lb
                BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

well if your out good luck mate
                  Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

aye no sea sickness this time had a great day and burnt forehead and a bit of added drama with the engine gettin tangled up especially wen a thought u were about to dive in cheers again for takin is out.

Comment

One reason I'm not sure of shaft driven props , I've been caught on pot buoy lines twice and it's scary enough when it happens on an outboard that can be lifted out of the water to clear. God knows how I'd feel with something wrapped around a prop I can't get at. Bet you were well pleased you spent all that money on a motor that was probably never going to be used eh? lol.
                      All part of the excitement of boat fishing i suppose .

(I'd have a shaft drive tomorrow , and might well get one when I change my boat , but I'd worry about snagging and I imagine they are a bit different to ,......er , how do you spell manouvere??? around the marina , better for stability and drifting though I imagine)

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X