Sunday (31May) The Perfect Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunday (31May) The Perfect Day

I’m surprised there have been few reports over the weekend considering the conditions. Here’s my pennies worth.

Sunday 11pm arrived at Amble marina, a couple of boats were coming in and I spoke to one. The sea at Boulmer was dirty and the fishing not too good down South. There were a few fish to be had in Alnmouth bay. That dampened my enthusiasm somewhat so I set off and headed behind Coquet Island. The day was glorious and the sea flat calm in half an hour I’d ate my three sandwiches and two packets of crisps…….. it’s the sea air. Two hours and no bites, been here before, so I chugged off for Northern Hill. Couple of boats appeared to be heading for Cresswell Skeers or out further probably to wreck fish. After another couple of hours still not one bite and I’d drowned a few rag-worm and lost a rig. You couldn’t fault the day it was truly a pleasure to be floating on the sea with sun on ones back. After low water the odd fish appeared on my fish finder and I started to gets bites and then I pulled up a small Cod About 10” threw him back and then things really picked up. Fish appeared on the fish finder every minute and I was pulling up 3-4lbers to match. The small Cod were a plague………never thought I’d be saying that; I guess I threw 20 back and a couple were damaged beyond repair. The 3-4lbers were moving and fighting like Mackerel, several times I was convinced I’d caught a good Mackerel. In the end I kept 10 fish and I’m sure I could have caught many more; the sun was still shining and the sea flat.

At 3pm I didn’t think there was a fish in the sea at 5pm I thought there was more Cod in the sea than corrupt MPs in parliament.

I was still fishing around Northern Hill and looking over the side of the boat I realised I could see my bait and feathers bouncing along the bottom in 25 feet of water. Whilst I couldn’t see the fish on the bottom as a fish took the hook and then spun I could see the flash of its belly. It was disconcerting to watch the sea bed moving past underneath me it appeared to be a mixture of sandy areas and mud. The sandy areas were in patches and also ribbons of sand perhaps a foot wide meandered between the patches.

I took my catch home, the barby was still warm. My missus had rang me around 5pm and asked if I was coming home for the barby “ I’m staying here” I told her, from the safety of a boat a mile offshore. I cooked a whole Cod on the barby and did it justice with some sea salt and black pepper seasoning, accompanied with bread and butter and a bottle of Badger ale……… the end to a perfect day

Sounds like mana from heaven

There's plenty of Cod in the sea as you say - the shore angler just needs to cast 1/2 a mile plus
    Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Comment

I wonder why nothing is showing behind the island ? I try there every time I go out and so far this year I've never had a bite there , Northern hill and Creswell skeres have had plenty fish like you found out , so why not behind coquet island?? Strange things fish.
      Hope we get a few more "perfect days " before the cold comes back

Ray

Comment

I remember fishing from amble ray whan I had a boat moored in the marina ....... behind the island was always a "banker" area, never fished lots of numbers but could always guarantee a decent fish .......
        seems things just change, same here off the tyne, theres a spot (steves favourite) which every year produces small codling 2-3lb but in great numbers and always hard fighting ....... but this year ........ not a one yet ?

but this by the way is shaping up to be a bumper season overall ....

norm
        ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
        . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
        ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

good report mate I'm just pleased we are all into the fish it sur is beating the winter of sh@te welldone
          Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Working...
          X