Wave Dancer, Amble 28 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wave Dancer, Amble 28 May

This is my first season as a 'Boat Owner' and my learning curve as to where, when and how to fish has been very steep over the last few weeks. I was quite worried reading the reports on the forum that the fishing was dire and wondered if I had made the right decision to take the plunge with the boat.

I shouldnt have worried as the last month has seen me catch more fish than I have over the last 10 years and when I recall all of the blank days from beaches and jetties the fortune that the boat cost me has been worth every penny so far.

Thursday was strange day with broken sunshine and a brisk westerley when the forcast was for very light winds. I learnt that the forecast does not take precedence over having a look and making a judgement on what you see and not what you read.

The two of us left Amble Marina at about 10:00 hrs and headed south as usual and 20 mins later we were wetting the lines but got nothing on the first drift. We were going north easterly at a fair pace and on subsequent drifts we began catching codling at a steady rate with a fair number of smaller fish being returned. We had a good range of species, cod, scotchies, pouting, wrasse, whiting and flatties (over rough ground ?). And then.............

Not being used to anything big I laid into something that was obviously different from the norm and the result was as seen in the attached photo. What a great looking fish and what a great highlight to my first months in my own boat. A Pollock that weighed in at just over 6.5 lb and was taken over rough ground on daylights baited with squid and ragworm. This was followed immediately by 2 cod at just over 5lb to go with the other 15 keepers throughout the rest of the day between us

I have currently only ventured as far as Cresswell Skeers but I have not been dissapointed as yet and maybe it's because I am new but catching a boxfull of 3-5 lb codling is currently sport enough for me. Perhaps as my confidence grows I will want to travel further in search of something bigger, but not as yet.

I hope that the standard of fishing I have found so far is an indicator of whats to come and if so I will be a happy man this summer. My memories of chucking lead seaward from a freezing cold beach seem a million miles away at the moment.

Any advice good or bad as to my fishing exploits will be welcome. Off to buy a new freezer for the garage as the catch rate may not last and it can be a long winter !!!
    Attached Files

What a lovely fish mate ,well done . Cresswell skeers didn't throw up much for me as a shore angler but it seems they fish well from the boat .

Good luck in the coming months ....things will get better so hold onto ya hat
    You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Well done mate
      keep kids off the streets, give them a rod.

Comment

great day out lads and some nice fish and a cracking pollock
        Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Nice fish mick , I'm in my second season and fish out of Amble too , the cresswell skeers are as far south as we have fished and we get up around Boulmer and craster skeres later on , I've been out to the six mile mark and fished the wrecks out there and I don't think there is much point trying to go further afield , there are always fish somewhere within that 6 mile or so radius.
          Maybe on a real calm flat sunny day (if we get one)I might be tempted to try further afield this year .
          Best of luck this season mick

Ray

Comment

Well done mick, excellent post and reports (and an excellent pollack). Welcome to boat fishing, costly yes but fun unmeasurable.

The fish your catching (3 - 5lb) are by far my favourites as my crew know. The bigger fish are good as trophies and feel good to catch but as for eating the smaller codling are much tastier and better looking (in a fish kind of a way ). If the hard ground fishing stayed the same all season I think I`d prefer to fish there for this stamp of fish all the time, however the fish do move off later in the year and the wrecks (not too far) are the place to be. Some of the best wrecks at the tyne are well within the 6 mile mark.

Once again, congrats on the catch and the report, look forward to more to follow and its great to hear your enjoying the boat fishing ....

cheers

Norman
            ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
            . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
            ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Great catch and good report spot on
              Ivan

Fishing is eternal optimism!!!

Comment

Great report and pic. Belter of a pollack. Well done.
                All generalisations are false, including this one

Comment

Thanks for the advice

Thanks to all for replies and advice, the fishing has been even better following this report and another one's been posted. I now know that I DO NEED to retire and not jsut think about it.......thanks again. Mick

Comment

excellent fish mate I used to freeze me n**ts off on the beaches and piers before we got the boat now I use the winter to prepare for the boat season great fun. To you and all have a great 2009 season

Comment

Working...
                    X