X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volante Catch Report 22nd Dec 2008

Hi Guys,

Long time....no post.

Due to a combination of bad weather, me working away and Davey spending time in the desert emptying the bank accounts of the now relatively poor Saudi nationals, it was my first trip since the summer.

As some of the older posters to the board will know, winter on the Volante is our favourite fishing time. Nice relaxed uptide type fishing that 90% of the time results in a good day afloat. It also means the skipper can "get the pan on" more often with being at anchor.

Anyway....to the fishing. We just had a half day today. Went out around 11:30hrs and were back on the dock for 16:00hrs. Davey motored the boat up North first to catch the last of the tide. Day started badly for me....I left my grip leads in a small bucket on the garage floor....what an idiot. Thanks to the onboard tackle shop things weren't a total disaster. £5.00 per 5oz gripper is a bit steep though. Usual winter tactics.......anchored over inshore rough ground, 6ft flowing pennel set up traces loaded with enough crab, black lug, lugworm and mussel to choke any fish under 3lbs. We cast the lines around 60m from the boat and waited for action. To be honest things were slow and the poor tides weren't helping. We always seem to get better results with the bigger tides, (over 4.6m). First blood went to me....a nice fresh Codling of around 5lbs. Fishing remained slow so Davey wanted to move us back to home territory just south of the Wear. Again. tucked inshore on a favoured mark, the anchor was dropped in around 4/5 fathoms of water.

The fishing was pretty frantic from the off.......(for me anyway). Got another two fish in quick succession around the 4lb mark. Fought like hell as well......... It didn't take long for Davey to catch up with some nice fish all around the same stamp. Marti chipped in with his usual Bleg and undersize fish as well as missing more bites than is humanly possible. Davey has suggested it may be a good idea to see if we can train a monkey to be more successful....(Ha Ha...sorry Marti)

The pan came out about 13:30. Some nice butchers own Pork Sausage with American Mustard in the first stotties. This was followed up with Bacon and Brown Sauce in the second.....thanks skipper...!!! Nice Mocha coffee to wash it all down with. The skipper certainly hasn't lost his culinery skills in my absence.

The final count was around 17/20 ish Codling to 5lbs........not bad for 3.5/4 hours fishing between 3 people. Most were returned. The weather was great....not at all cold and almost zero wind. The sea state was what a lot of us dream of for the summer and by all accounts is likely to be that way for the next 3-4 days. Davey will be out again tomorrow, I'll join him Wednesday as I'm going to get my nails done tomorrow.

Anyway, it was great to get out again. I've missed fishing more than I thought i had....!!!! It was also good to know that I can still cast further and more accurately than my older fishing mates....(Ha-Ha) who remain novices at best.

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Sorry...no photo's....the camera was on top of the Gripper bucket..!!!

Nice one Jeff, sounds like a great day. Is'nt it a real pain when you get out there and realise you have left something important at home

PS Where are you getting your nails done as I have a couple of cracked ones and my cuticles are a bit of a mess too.

Jim.
    Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Comment

I have someone come to my house....she dresses up like a nurse, does my nails and waxes back, sack and crack.

Comment

Yer its great to see someone making it out, planning on hitting St Marrys and then the back of Shields pier 28-29th if weather holds.

Wont be at anchor mind, will just be drifting as i dont really have any marks other than a kelp bed worth staying in to fish.
        ................__................................ .............................
        ____[ ~ \_____
        [__On-A-Roll__/
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        P.B
        SKATE 204lb
        COD 51lb
        LING 32lb
        TOPE 40lb
        CONGER 25lb
        HADDOCK 10lb
        HALIBUT 37lb
        COALIE 16lb
        BLUE SHARK 55lb

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
          I have someone come to my house....she dresses up like a nurse, does my nails and waxes back, sack and crack.
          Full 12 hour shift then

Well done on tha catch lads
          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Not taking the mick about the nurse thing either.................usually takes an hour Keith mate. It's thinned out a bit now.

Forgot to mention in the report that Davey managed to bag two Codling on one cast.......one on the small top hook of the pennel and the other on the usual bottom one. If I didn't mention that I was worried my rations maybe cut.....

Cheers,
            Jeff.

Comment

Good work Jeff mate ,nice catch and the scran sounds the bogs dollocks as per usual .
              You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Well done Jeff and Davey......sounded like a canny day....hope you do well on Wednesday....

and all the best to the both of you for Xmas and the New Year..
                Last edited by mick65; 23-12-2008, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Nice one jeff, great to hear yous got out ..... looks like a great day tomorrow 24th Dec but I`m still at work till pm ..............

we should be out there if it holds over the hols ....... great catch mate and ,as ever stormin report (complete with injection of humor great ! )

cheers

Norm
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
                  ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X