Lazy Daze Sunday catch report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lazy Daze Sunday catch report

Hi All, it's been a while since i've put a catch report on. With the forecast for light winds for today, I headed to the can area off Whitley bay to try bait fishing at anchor. I was not ready for the action that was to follow. I baited the first rod 2 hooks with locally dug lugworm, plopped it over the side in 30 ft of water, the 2oz lead touched the bottom and, whooooo! it took off immedietly, bending the super light rod double, stripping line off against the clutch. A nice little codling and a wrasse eventually came to the surface.

sorry about quality of this pic.
    Finally got the other rod in the water as the other rod was dancing about, struck that, and could see the other rod pulling over, talk about frantic. This was the order of the day, not a moments rest. lots of fish between 2-3lb, many of them two at a time.
    After the first half dozen fish kept, started putting them back, any that were lipped hooked.
    just caught one of the rods making its way over the gunnels, this time hoping this was a single fish as it bucked and swam back down again, but eventually broke surface. Yes I thought, a nice fish nocking around seven pounds, but as I lifted it over the side, I could still feel weight, the other hook had a fish on around 3lb.

The fish kept coming till I ran out of bait.

Kept 14 fish and returned 38.
    I was thinking before I went out, this would probably be the last trip this year, but if the weather holds, well, you'll know where to find me.
    Last edited by canman; 28-09-2014, 06:20 PM.
    P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Great report and some nice fish.

Comment

What a lovely report and a great catch. Nice to see someone staying relatively close in and bagging up too.

Being someone that fishes on charters once and twice a month a report like this make you real jealous of small boat owners (in a good way). It must be great to just pop out for a session like that.

Well done!

Comment

That is some haul of fish! Great report.
        2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Great stuff Arhtur, that's a great catch.

We had a couple of hours out on Saturday, lots of activity close in, birds diving, big mackerel and a few cod.
          Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Cracking stuff there mate, makes me jealous as saw how flat it was but had hospital duties as bairn bad and better half would have lynched me if had put rib in water! Nevermind, again top stuff close in

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
              Great stuff Arhtur, that's a great catch.

We had a couple of hours out on Saturday, lots of activity close in, birds diving, big mackerel and a few cod.
              Was that yous a few hundred yards off the north pier, I was trying for pollock at the back of the north pier. I could see the activity around the boat when I was out on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramas View Post
                Cracking stuff there mate, makes me jealous as saw how flat it was but had hospital duties as bairn bad and better half would have lynched me if had put rib in water! Nevermind, again top stuff close in
                Hope the bairn is ok. Family comes first every time.

Comment

Nice one Arthur great fishing ! we were about 1/2 a mile off the north pier i seen the boat you are on about just off the north pier .we had lots of mackeral and about a dozen coddlings .
                  We are going to drop anchor up that way at the weekend so a few pointers wont come a miss
                  You cant beat local bait for producing the goods well done
                  Cheers Bert

Comment

Originally posted by Tadpoleman View Post
                    Nice one Arthur great fishing ! we were about 1/2 a mile off the north pier i seen the boat you are on about just off the north pier .we had lots of mackeral and about a dozen coddlings .
                    We are going to drop anchor up that way at the weekend so a few pointers wont come a miss
                    You cant beat local bait for producing the goods well done
                    Pointers I would give would be, if the tide is pulling, fish at anchor with bait, lug or crab, fish for as long as the fish are interested, or when the stamp of the fish has dropped, move a short distance and carry on th e same way, but the tides at the weekend will be small, so drift fishing would be the way to go. Try in the kelp beds close in off Whitley beach if there's no wind . Crab would be the best bet here. Hope the weather plays ball.

Comment

Good fishing Arthur, you would have won the RQ weekend heaviest fish voucher with your coddling.

Comment

nice few fish well done jeff
                        http://www.kayakfishingshack.co.uk/[B]

Comment

Great day out that and a good report.

Comment

Working...
                          X