Slinky Kate Sept 6th 2014 Catch Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate Sept 6th 2014 Catch Report

It's been a while ..... due to weather interruptions and work ....
    Somehow for weeks now we seem to have had hot calm weather all week until the weekend when rain hail and wind descends putting paid to the once a week fishing trips ....

With that in mind and with a work colleague "Kevin" to take on his first fishing trip we watched the weather very carefully this week. Got to say once again the XC weather forecast was 100% spot on as I watched in horror for 4 days as the initially predicted soft westerly turned into a north easterly 7mph overnight Friday and into Saturday morning along with rain .... bah .....

Not to be dejected we decided that although it would not be ideal conditions and due to other circumstances then we just had to do it ....
    so we did

Met up in the rain at 6.00am marina carpark and off to the piers, trying to explain to Kevin all the way that the worst part was just inside the piers, then explaining the worst part was just outside the piers then eventually explaining that in fact the worst part as it was almost low tide was actually in the mushroom outflow of a mile or so outside the piers. (got away with that one I think).
    To be fair we progressed through an uncomfortable sea to about the 3 mile wrecks for mackerel and it was in fact a little better.
    out came the mackerel daylights but just for one rod - Kevins' - as Tony and I looked on and explained the newest member always caught the bait and he sure did do that with string after string of mackerel coming aboard.
    Stayed around but nothing else of catch to speak of so off we went a little further, well 6 mile further actually which was the pinpoint of our initial plan.
    I think by this time I'd decided it wasn't going to be a long day due to the conditions (conditions of the new crew ) so thought better to just get there give it an hour and come back in early.
    First into codling at out targeted wreck was kevin (which brought some colour back to his face) then it was steady away and we all ending up with fish in the box.
    I think Tone was the number catcher today (other than the many mackerel caught by Kev) but best single fish was mine with a nice 12lb Cod, see the short video and explanation after the pictures.
    As time wore on we decided to head on in and try a couple of wrecks on the way back but due to a slight technical problem and a fairly harsh sea we decided to push on in a little earlier than usual at about 11.00am

all in all great to be back out at sea after a few weeks off, great to have a new face aboard and well done to Kev for seeing it through without flat lining and thanks as ever to crewman Tone ....

Just a few pics of the day followed by a short video .....

Mackerel for Kev

Ling for Tony....

Codling for Kev .....

and a cod for Tony ....

The Video ....
    Often when filleting Bigger fish especially Cod over the 10lb mark I have found them to be lumpy, bumpy bruised etc nowhere near as good for the plate as a nice 3,4 or 5lb fish. So was born the comment "I'm going to put back the next "double" Cod" ............ this one was carefully weighed and came in just on 12 lbs .....

watch here .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toIw...ature=youtu.be

cheers folks

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Great report Norman. Good to see you back at sea and helping out newbies. Also nice to see a decent cod head back to the depths. Lovely wee video too. Lynn says hello as well.
    Last edited by kayos; 06-09-2014, 03:29 PM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

Comment

Nice 1 Norman,good report and some good pics
      Its good to get out as often as possible with the cold dark days that will be with us quicker than we think

Comment

Great to see you lads out there, it's been a while.

Thanks for the beers, I was a bit green around the gills myself, 6 btls of brown ale last night didn't help, but forcing that Stella down helped me out.

I'm getting a message video is not available on the ipad, I'll look on the laptop later.

Cheers!
        Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Good to see you's got out and amongst them, nice 12 lb'er.

Comment

Poor lad picked a hard first day to go to sea, but good to see my namesake stuck at it and that you found the fish Norman. SK shows the season is not over yet.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post
              Great to see you lads out there, it's been a while.

Thanks for the beers, I was a bit green around the gills myself, 6 btls of brown ale last night didn't help, but forcing that Stella down helped me out.

I'm getting a message video is not available on the ipad, I'll look on the laptop later.

Cheers!
              Aye Keith the message relates to the third party (soundtrack) not allowing mobile devices , I thought originally it was a setting I could change but seems not .... See it on PC instead of android ...

Norm
              ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
              . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
              ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Cheers again Norm!

Still chuckling about the double going back...can still hear the incredulous "eh!!??" from the boat in the background
                Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                I AGREE

Comment

good one lads, well done
                  Chris

Comment

Yeah worked no probs on the computer Norm, great video and a cracking fish.
                    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

Well done Norman. Looks like a good day for everyone.
                      Mick.
                      Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Good to read a decent report on the private boats Norm. Well done on the twelve pounder, and putting it back lol. Not sure if that was yous coming in when i was fishing just outside the Tyne piers around eleven am.
                        P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Cracking report and a great video to watch as well!!!

Sean
                          The beautifull South

Comment

Fantastic lads, great vid Norm and a nice reprieve on the 12lber

Comment

Working...
                            X