Ian Woods Comp - Slinky Kate Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Woods Comp - Slinky Kate Report

Well, with a few weeks off due to bad weather, holidays and other persuits it was a refreshing start to be back on board this morning.
    Have watched other comments with interest seemingly the season must be drawing to an end since catch reports are falling off drastically ............................
    oh no it`s not ..... lol
    Out with Tony and Steve as crew today I have to report that we seen probably the best catch on Slinky Kate for ages, not that we brought it all home but certainly the bounty was continually being hauled in over the gunwhales.
    Today was the re-scheduled Ian Woods Boat comp, and a great day it turned out to be.

Steve started with a small codling I think even before I hit bottom for the first time this morning (returned to grow bigger), from there on he desperatly tried and tried to catch his standard scotchie, but unfortunately all he managed was cod ling whiting and mackerel, not a scotchie to be had from steve.

We headed out east to 7 mile wrecks to fish for ling on the low tide, lots of them but not that big , some keepers at 5 or 6 lbd but loads returned at 4 or 5 lbd. Can`t believe how many ling we returned today, must have been well over a dozen, and whiting all returned (after being caught double headers at times) ..... extremely big whiting I must add, I am told by those that know that whiting of this size would be prized from the shore ......

The day seemed to be one long catch and return with so many ling and whiting (and catch and keep for bait for steve on the mackerel rod). The odd cod showed up to fill the boxes but nothing more than about 5lbd.

Then as the end of the comp was drawing near we decided to fish the last hour or so inshore with bait ............

whoa .... what a good decision, as on one drop I felt a bite , then a pull then that moment of slight indecision, is it caught on the bottom? .....
    NO WAY ! as soon as I lifted I could tell ....... it was big ............... lol 16.5 lbs big ..... one of the cleanest fish I`ve caught a real sandy colour ........
    I`d say it put up a long fight but to be honest we must have only been in 60 ft of water so it was over in minutes........ thank goodness it wasn't in 250ft !. What a beaut of a fish .............. which by the way earned me second place in comp (well done to Brian Wilkes with a winning 19lbd ling fishing on board white Diamond)

just a few pics of the day .....

the obligatory sunrise ....... (can`t help myself)

Steve with the first fish of the day (returned)

Tony with one of the many returned ling

Steve still trying to catch a scotchie .... nope it`s a mackerel

And a couple of my 16.5lbd (official weighed in) Cod

From the weigh in at end of comp it`s obvious that there`s still LOADS of fish left out there and lots of them are doubles .......

Great Day as ever, cheers lads ....................

norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Fantastic!!! well done mate
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

GREAT REPORT!!! Cheers Norman Well done to you and the crew
      Best shore caught fish:- Pollock 6lb+ Beadnell, 9lb 8oz Cod Blyth Beach

Comment

Nice report Norm and good to finally put the face to the name!

Look forward to seeing you next year
        www.ian-woods.co.uk

Comment

What can you say ,the day was great OBVIOUSLY as per usual and things went well with loads of fish as Norman said but the bigguns just wheren't biting for us ,I weighed in a Ling at 6lb 9 and Tony something similar .

The last 20 minutes made the day for all three of us ,Norman ,what a fish mate I nearly passed out when it came to the surface and turned to dive down ...... thank heavens for the fish noodling pole that helped it aboard.

And as far as the scotchies go I couldn't get near them for the Great Scotchendo .

Well done mate on getting second on a day where I've never seen so many double figure fish ,just pipped by Brian ,well done to you mate .

And of course thanks for a great day and brilliant craic and a hoot
          You can take the lad out of Walker but .......

Comment

Well done all on Slinky Kate, especially Steve for not catching a scotchie

Lovely fish Norman, what took first place?
            Regards, Graham

Comment

Well done Lads,top class report and fish.

Comment

well done Norman...what a time to catch a fantastic cod, and the biggest of your season so far !!, and i notice not wearing the lucky tee shirt

Comment

cheers Graham, First place was taken by Brian Wilkes with a 19lbd+ ling fishing from White Diamond ....... congrats Brian
                  ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                  . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

it was just too nice a day out there today bob to wear a tee shirt
                    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
                    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___

Comment

Still giggling now about the pandemonium it caused in the few seconds before it came aboard

Steve (trying to be helpful) - "Let some line out Norman" as it turns it's geet big heed back towards the bottom

Tony (throwing my own snagged rod down and yelping Homer Simpson stylee) - "I'll get the gaff!!"

Passes gaff to Steve who just nicks about an inch of Cod belly (on second flailing attempt )

Eventually the behemoth is hoiked aboard - high fives all round and three men dancing like t*ts and wooping and hollering like loons

Ruddy marvellous

Great day Norman - just checked the reports and that's a 1st 2nd and 3rd for the Comps this year

Great Craic as ever - cost me a fortune tho
                      Last edited by The Great Wallsendo; 28-09-2008, 08:20 PM.
                      Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
                      I AGREE

Comment

Excellent report and pics Norman as always glad yous boys had a cracking day.
                        Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

welldone norman and all that took part cracking cod mate
                          Panel Pin Champ

Comment

Well done everybody looks like you all had a great day and a big thanks to Grommit ( Ian Woods) for sponsoring the event
                            UKCC Level 2 Game Angling Coach

Comment

have to say it was the best looking cod I have seen for a long time, and I enjoyed showing it off for Norman when he was cleaning the boat and their other fish, everybody agrred it was a smasher, pity looks dont win fishing comps, well done Norman, it was a shame to put the knife to it, oooopps nobody mention Norman donated the fish to the Alan Charlton fund, as did Steve with his little ling, did you see him with that mackerel, he kept it. No worries though some lads took pity on me and donated a dozen.
                              Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X