Ali-Cat 9th August. Hartlepool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali-Cat 9th August. Hartlepool

The challenge for today was against the weather.
    Tactics had been decided the night before as the forecast was for gusty strong westerly winds (a slight bonus) and a big tide, but not being a fair weather fisherman, who likes a challenge and loves boat fishing, off I went down the A19 to Hartlepool Marina.
    Very breezy on arrival, but in the best direction, and so off we set from the lock with a few other charters.
    Straight out to ground as the drift was a little too rapid to attempt any wrecks.
    First fish of the day fell to myself on the first drop, not what I wanted, but a very big Whiting about 3lb, which eventually found its way back to the depths.
    A lot of anglers on board today opting for bait fishing, Squid, Prawns and Mackerel on a various range of end tackle.
    I fished the entire day once again with Sidewinder Stripy Green Mackerel Sandeel.
    At the end of the day I had accomplished and surpassed my target of 10 fish.
    12 fish in my bag with my best Cod of 7lb.
    Better still was the overall weight of the individual codling which was excellent reaching 4lb.
    I had 2 Ling with the best about 10lb.
    Best fish on the boat was a nice Ling between 18 & 20lb (weighed between swells), lovely fat fish.
    Upping the lead weight payed the dividends, while others around struggled.
    The amount of small sized fish (codling) that were about was fascinating, it resembled a Whiting swarm.
    Some of them smaller than the lure they were taking.
    Mackerel in abundance if you wanted them, but they appeared smaller than earlier in the season.
    I would estimate about 20 decent Ling and about 40 Codling with many Mackerel.
    So overall,once again, Dave the skipper found the fish, it was up to the anglers to catch them, and it was a decent day for me.
    Yes a hard day, and some found it difficult, but you're out there because you love it, well I do anyway, and fish from first drop to last reel in.
    Tight Lines
    John S

It was a bit of a challenge wasn't it, It was nice meeting you.
    I was towards the back of the boat. I usually fish shads but that day I used Bait producing a good bag of fish.
    I ended up with 15 Ling biggest about 8lb and 2 codling of about 4lb.
    I even got a double up of 2 ling on my 3 hook baited trace which I have never had before.
    Even though the wind made it quite hard to fish it was a good day out.
    Hats off to Dave for getting us onto the fish.
    I had a bit of a scarey moment while cutting some bait the boat rocked and threw me forward almost stabbing myself in the shoulder.

Comment

Well done Halfprice on your bag.
      I was as surprised as yourself with your double Ling, not something you see very often.
      It was a testing day, but sticking at it pays the dividend.
      There was a few early baths on the way in that made me laugh, but they soon dried out.
      Nice meeting you too my friend, hope to see you again.
      John S

Comment

Sounds like a cracking day, well done

Comment

Working...
        X