Volante Catch Report 23-07-08 - Ling-Tastic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volante Catch Report 23-07-08 - Ling-Tastic

It seems an age since I posted a catch report. I've been working overseas a lot this year and this is the first real Wrecking trip I've done and it wasn't too bad. Davey has been out in recent weeks and done pretty well with some good double figure Cod and one or two close to double figure Pollock.........all on Shads.

We left the Sunderland dock at 05:00hrs and Dave decided to take us poaching up North around the Sheilds wrecks. It was a beautiful calm day that turned into a scorcher and I'm nursing the sun burn as I write...!!!

Things started off slow but as the tide started to slacken off things began to improve. First fish of the day went to me.......a Ling of 22lbs........a personal best by 5 lbs and a wait of 27years since my previous best.

Good fishing continued up to slack water and just after with a Ling a drop for me with the next biggest around 13lbs. Dave was catching bot all at this point but apparently it was all his hard work and skill that was putting us in the right place at the right time. The right time I can go along with but with the Volante kitted out with more gear than the Starship Enterprise the element of positioning the boat could be done by a trained monkey, (I'm not saying Dave is a performing Chimp here so please don't mis-understand me). Let's just say the technology has alleviated some difficulties...!!! The photo's below should help explain my point of view.

Volante Cabin

Max-Sea 3 D Plotter - 3D View of Border Star Wreck and Drift Tracking

Max Sea 3D Plotter - Elevated 3 D View of Border Star Wreck and Drift Tracking

You can see from the images that the wreck has broken in two and the gadgetry makes it easy(?) to drift all parts of the wreck with greater accuracy. It certainly helped today.

As the tide picked up again, (Big Tide today) we changed tactics to Shads on 10ft flowing traces in the hunt of Codling. Davey made a comeback at this point with a number of Cod to around 8lbs. I blanked on the Cod today.

We called it a day around 14:30hrs and headed back to the dock.

Most fish were returned. We kept the two big Ling, a smaller one that was wrapped up in line and two decent Cod. We returned around 12-15 fish.......some up to 8lbs in weight.

Anyway, it was nice to get out again but it could be my last trip until September due to work committments. I've sure Davey wil be out most fishable days though....!!!

Cheers,
    Jeff.

Well done ODD JOB cracking fish mate

I want one lol.
    Cheers, Keith.

Comment

excellent days fishing m8 and nice pics,Belting ling.
      Blacky

Comment

Jeff you need to hold that ling a bit higher mate, looks daft

Great report cheers.

Mad electronics, reminds me of some of the video shows we did back in the day. Pansy's not far behind in the techmology stakes though - we have one of them rubber keyboards. Is that fish blood as well that's showing on the plotter
        "I mock thee not, though I by thee am mockéd.
        Thou call'st me madman, but I call thee blockhead"

Comment

pmsl lol

Cracking trip out and good report, cheers.

Comment

Nice report,piccys and fish well done lads.

Comment

cracking ling mate nice sesh well done.
              Feel free to take a look at my blog.

http://edds-fishingtales.blogspot.com/

Cheers eddie t

Comment

Originally posted by KeithB View Post

I want one lol.
                Fighting talk that like

Comment

Jeff well done mate. Looks like a cracking day. The gear used for the wrecking looks good.

Mick.
                  Personal best, 12.5lb Tope Scotland. 22/05/2012.

Comment

Some super accurate drifts there, well impressed. Davey obviously knows his onions or someone's been on that PhotoShop

Comment

that maxsea is the dogs danglies. we've got it but not used it yet, need a new fishfinder to feed it the data.

you got the CM93 charts for it as well or just the app??
                      ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

Thought for the day:
                      Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Converting an MFV Fifie trawler type thing.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                        that maxsea is the dogs danglies. we've got it but not used it yet, need a new fishfinder to feed it the data.

you got the CM93 charts for it as well or just the app??
                        Aye I knew we had "It" and also the reasons why we haven't used it yet.

Mark - have we really got one of those lumpy bumpy things

Comment

'fraid so

Thought for the day:
                          Some people are like slinkies - not really good for anything but bring a smile to your face when thrown down the stairs

Comment

Get in I want to see blood and dead burnt babies bodies hanging of those contours - "Alice's Restaurant, Arlo Guthrie" said that not me

Comment

Arlo guthrie!

I don't want a pickle Just want to ride on my motorsickle

get in!

gotta go dig that one out to listen to right now

Thought for the day:

Comment

Working...
                              X