Nefin 19/07/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nefin 19/07/08

Headed out to fish the Bob White Memorial, we were going to head down to Creswell but with the pants forecast we deceided to stay local. Started off on the end of Hauxley head and not a sasauge cod wise just mackeral then shifted to behind the island.
    The fishing was hard mainly due to the drift pushing us at over 2knts. Even with 20Lb braid and 12oz it was hard to keep your gear in contact with the bottom. We even tried anchoring for the first time! (but caught nowt!)Once the tide slackened off and the drift slowed we picked away with a few codling and a solitary wrasse. Most of the other boats in the area were doing the same and landing fish every now and then. One of my friends boats landed a descent pollack of over 6Lb.
    I can honestly say I have never seen the weather come away like it did ever before.Thats in ten years of working at sea as well. It was like someone clicked their fingers and all of the sudden it was a force 7/8! I know it was forecast and that is why we stayed within touching distance of the harbour but the speed and severity that the wind picked up made my bum a bit twitchy to say the least on the way back in. From flat calm to two metre short seas in no time. We had a quick look at the weigh in and saw quite quickly with my four and a half pounder we were no-where near and headed home for some dry clothes!
    The finally tally was four cod kept, a few put back, one wrasse, a small pollack, a few scotchies and the mackeral, nearly forgot the two pairs of skid marked underpants due to the weather!
    Graham.

great report mate well done for getting out there and at least you's got some fish

Comment

I looked at the forcast and gave it a miss yesterday , I've hardly had ten minutes at sea never mind ten years , so I decided to wait for a better weather forcast. I was in Amble marina shop when that weather broke , there was some very worried looking faces in there , I was very pleased to be one of them rather than one of those they were worried about.
      They were saying there were 13 small boats out along with Upholder , I watched a few come in , including you (I spoke to you on the pontoon) and again was pleased to see everyone coming back safely. I know it'll happen one day that I get caught in a storm , but hopefully it'll be ten years time or even better 20 years time before it happens.
      Wednesdays looking good

Ray.

Comment

Working...
      X