On-A-Roll 06.07.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-A-Roll 06.07.14

This weekend was the first time I had a chance to take On-A-Roll out fishing due to other commitments and it was a weekend of sweet and sour.

Well the plan was to fish Friday, Saturday and Sunday but with the north east of England being in cyclonic wind conditions during that time Friday and Saturday was going to be abit hit miss and late calls required. Anyway Friday was a straight no brainer due to strong winds it was called off Thursday afternoon, We popped our nose out on Saturday with the plan of fishing the Farne deeps but as expected the morning was unsettled, with wind, rain and a choppy sea. The tide was due to change improving the sea conditions and drift speed and weather improve but after a week of being chucked about in Norway I decided to call it a day after 1hr and head in for a day out down Whitby instead with some of the crew, mind before we headed in we did stop on the feeding frenzy off the north pier and caught, cod, ling, Pollack, coalie,whiting and mackerel every drop for a while…it was a little like something you see on the “blue planet” program commentated on by David Attenborough.

Ok so Sunday, plan was an early meet up and get to our mark at last, we bypassed all inshore marks and started heading north, a glass sea was ahead of us with no wind at all but very overcast, this let me open the boat up and bomb along at 22knots (top speed without really pushing the engine) we stopped on the 10mile mark and caught a few strap ling, 1 cod and mackerel for bait before heading further up north.

The weather was great and sea so flat it was a joy to fish, even without catching anything….wait who am I kidding

So to the chosen marks we started fishing, picking up fish not in great numbers or size but steady away, the depths varied between 180 and 300ft depending who we set the drift up on the banks/wrecks etc.

Chris had the biggest fish of the day a ling of 12lb 4oz and the Graham had the best cod of about 6lb, loads of other fish around the 3-5lb mark, it is worth mentioning that al the cod we landing from this location seemed resident fish, very dark in colour with scars and such, not the spring run whiter cod we have seen of late, we took what we needed and half-filled the fish box putting every ling back and the un-needed cod back as why take what you don’t need.

So we made the trip back home in the sunshine and a glass sea with a host of gulls in tow, a great day to be at sea and a few now locations plotted out, at 7pm we got in and away for a late Sunday lunch.

Ow i almost forgot Grahams catch of the day after a 20min battle by hand balling up from 210ft

We put it back to fight some other day, must of been 60lb

Now weather watching for a 3 day bash at it this weekend starting Friday.
    Last edited by northeast1; 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM.
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Great stuff rich, well done mate.
    Surprising sometimes how good the fishing can be close in (your last trip)
    And strange as you say sometimes the fish are resident and eerrmm battered whilst other times (we found this weekend) they are clean as @&@&

Norm
    ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
    . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
    ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Another cracking report Richy keep it up

Comment

long handled garden edge trimmer fish
        Alan

Comment

Good going fellas. S
          GET OUT THERE AND STICK A BAIT IN IT !!!

Comment

Bit disappointed in my new PB was living in hope it was going to be worth keeping like an anchor not just scrap metal BUT since I'm NOT a Norway kind of angler it maybe the heaviest thing I ever lift out the water.
            BIG Thank You to Richy for the invite and look forward to the next dance, hopefully Friday
            Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

Comment

Good to see you managed to get out Richy,and got amaong them. I had to [postpone due to a bloody cycle race!

Sean
              The beautifull South

Comment

Friday is looking good but your right on the "dance" bit, maybe a swell to deal with Friday...if the rest of the season goes like the last few trips i.e steady away 35-45+ keeprs then i be happy with the 2014 season.

Roll on Friday,Sat and Sunday and i hope we are On-A-Roll
                ................__................................ .............................
                ____[ ~ \_____
                [__On-A-Roll__/
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                P.B
                SKATE 204lb
                COD 51lb
                LING 32lb
                TOPE 40lb
                CONGER 25lb
                HADDOCK 10lb
                HALIBUT 37lb
                COALIE 16lb