Slinky Kate 25th August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slinky Kate 25th August

August was pretty much written off for everyone it seems - Team Slinky were no exception in this regard. It had been 7 weeks since we last met up to actually go fishing.

With the forecast being close to perfect the decision was made get back to basics and meet up pre-dawn at RQ.

Up and out and past the piers we met a glorious sunrise. Stopping at the piers Norman tried for cod and I went for mackerel...I wasn’t overtly optimistic on either level with the water being a very lovely poo colour!

However, we had both cod (small) and mackerel...and a surprise Ling...a big one. It was an easy double...but we didn’t want it so it was unhooked at the side and thankfully because of the shallow water it went back with a kick of its tail.

Then it was straight out. The plan was to try a load of wrecks and do some proper fishing for once. We went here there and every where and we picked up odd fish for the box. The going, however, was mostly slow.

It was slow but the fish, when we did catch them were of a decent stamp...I managed to bump a double sized Cod of Norman’s hook with the net *oops* He was very gracious about it but I was gutted in truth!!

Luckily karma was kind and I was rewarded with a good sized Ling of 15/16lb which was currently leading the marina comp as of 1430 yesterday - it weighed 13lb 2 oz gutted.

We ended the day with a few drifts at St Mary’s but we were dog tired by this time so back to the marina we went.

it was a good honest days fishing, cheers Norm!

Few pics as attached. Note - we didn’t get a pics of Norm holding a fish so I dug out library stock

Ooh a new vid!

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
    I AGREE

Some nice fish there lad's, good report, well done.

Comment

It was worth the wait to get that whopping ling. Some really good fish there too, and a calm sunny day as well. Not a bad day out!

I was down in London for the rugby but let Oli and 2 of his mates take the boat out. They did a couple of reefs up at Boulmer and Craster, getting some nice pollock, codling to 4lb and the usual haul of mackerel and coalies. Out on the wrecks it was tough getting through the mackerel and coalies but there were some decent cod once they got through. The late summer fishing is turning up trumps.

Comment

Working...
      X