• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subject: st.abbs 27th july 04 by Les

Subject: st.abbs 27th july
    Les

posted on 28/7/2004 at 18:49
    hi all,

decided to go fishing with my 2 sons yesterday, instead of trying my usual bit at skateraw i opted for a trip to st.abbs to have a hunt for some new marks that are on my chart.

caught some mackies for bait 1st then tried a shad over a new wreck that i found, new to me that is, had 6 cod in 6 drifts, smallest 3lb biggest 8lb, all returned as it was early on what promised to be a hot day and they would have been spoiled by the time i got home,

moved onto another wreck and had plenty of ling this time on mackerel baited jumbo hokeyes, though the size wasn't up to much 3-6lb, mostly 3lbers though.

looked for another wreck but couldn't find it so we went back to the first one and fished mackerel baits this time and got more and bigger ling, on one drift i hooked a ling about 6-7lb and as we were returning them was bringing it in slowly, my boy liam hooked a fish at the same time, i t-barred mine off at the side and looked round at liam and he was still playing the fish, eveytime he got a few feet, it took it back, this was a BIG fish, but after about 10 mins and not even half way up the hook pulled, he was gutted, next drift he had a ling close to double figures and never had a bit of bother with it.

i let his wee brother catch a couple of ling on my rod, he had them to about 6lb but he is only 8 and he struggled in 200 feet of water, we had some nice cod on the mackie bait as well with liam getting a very dark fish of about 7lb

had a look at my usual wreck off the head but there was a couple of boats fishing it but they were getting nothing, had a couple of drifts but nothing, not even any fish showing on the sounder, the other wrecks seemed to be covered.

i lost my knife off the baitboard at the back of the boat, ever tried to fillet mackerel for bait with a pair of scissors......not recommended......lol

what a great day on the spur of the moment, and i didn't have to break my back digging worms

les

Norman

Old Timer

posted on 29/7/2004 at 20:46
    LOL nice one les, always have two knives hahahahahaha

Norman

Old Timer

posted on 29/7/2004 at 21:04
    out of interest, and I got to say I`m not a one to talk about the one that got away ...... but .............
    saturday`s trip I had a real big take ...... real big LOL.....
    but as happens, I lost it half way up, no prob it`s happenned before and will again, however ........... the pic below shows what ended up on the trace (not the hook) when I got it to the top
    i sent down a two hook orange muppet rig baited with fresh mackerel and (after the fight) pulled up a half digested well bitten BIG whiting which I had caught around the tail in a messy tangle. Obviously the fish (probably a ling) had taken the whiting nose in about 20 mins before it took my muppet, then in the battle i managed to pinch its breakfast ... LOL and it got away scot free
    ok tale over , never to be mentioned again (except for the pic LOL

Les

posted on 29/7/2004 at 23:31
    nice one norman, that ling will have knocked you off its christmas list now....lol

normally i would have tony, stevie or someone else on the boat doubling up the knife situation, but just me and the bairns, thats 2 knives in 2 trips now, when i was skate fishing with gogs a couple of months ago i lost my brand new 1st time out knife, this trip brand new replacement knife gone west, bit dear having to buy a new knife every trip, better getting into the habit of NOT leaving it on the bait board.

and the daft thing was, the scissors went the same way as the knife

so i couldn't gut the fish, luckily i have a friend who is a fishmonger and it just so happens i had picked up a new part for his computer for collection that night, so he took the fish to work the next day and filleted them for me........lol
    Cheers Alan...
Working...
X