Whitby, round 1 to me I think!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitby, round 1 to me I think!

The alarm went off at 415am and Lynn for once jumped straight out of bed, the Whitby challenge was upon us! After just shower and coffee it was off on the 45 minute drive. We arrived to this.

Nice, so we duly got some free parking and Lynn went for the rolls. Mmm, long roll, 3 rashers of bacon and 2 fried eggs and bizzarely toast! £2.70, sorted. Duly sated, we boarded Trot-on ll. Not full today, ourselves, two local lads, a mother and daughter and a lone guy who arrived hungover with just a Co-op carrier bag with a sandwich and a bottle of pop, no fishing gear whatsoever! What a beautiful spacious boat she is, with private toilet, covered seating area and oodles of room.

We took up our chosen spot and off we sailed under the bridge at 7am, crowded!

We arrived at the first wreck after about 30 mins and after a couple of drifts one of the local lads pulled in a nice Cod, closely followed but his mate. I was soon into a good fish, first Cod of the year methinks - nope a foul hooked Whiting! Confident of plenty of Cod today, I returned a decent 2 pounder. Then things went quite, which became the norm for the day. We tried numerous other wrecks and 2 Ling for the local boys came onboard. I was getting pretty cheesed off by this, not helped by Lynn who had caught 3 Pouting and then a really nice 5lb plus Cod. All I had caught was the wrecks...and numerous times!

We moved again, this time way, way off to yet another wreck and Lynn took some time out.

Suitably refreshed as soon as we arrived she caught a small Ling!

So by now it's mid-afternoon, I had 1 Whiting(returned), Lynn had 3 Pouting, 1 Cod and 1 Ling, the local lads had a Cod each and a few Ling and even the guy with no gear had a Cod! I had lost at least 8 rigs and the will to live and in a fit of sheer desperation I put on a single hook plastic, of which I had "bought" loads off The Jester, and baited it with a whole squid. Hit the bottom and bang, fish on. It fought well and I thought small Pollack, couldn't believe my eyes when a Haddock came into view. The first I have caught in 35 years! Newly invigorated I baited up again and dropped it down, bang, in again. Fought really hard and I knew it was a decent fish and sure enough a Pollack of just over 7lbs came to the boat. Very happy!

So sorry about the colour clash today, I dressed in the dark! Plus my head seems to be merging with the sky!? Lynn take a camera course!!

Things slowed down again and we started to move back inshore. No more fish came to the boat, but on our way in the Skipper suggested I weigh in the Haddock. This I did and cruised effortlessly into 3rd place in the species competition. So with the heaviest fish and the Haddock, Lynn had to concede defeat!

Not the best day ever, but given the recent past, 6 species is a veritable cornucopia of breeds!

Round 1 to me, 3 to go. Watch this space.
    Last edited by kayos; 04-07-2013, 11:08 AM.
    2016 - Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Gurnard, Ling, Mackerel, Saithe, Scorpian fish. .

great stuff mark well done, roll on friday

i take it no mackarel about today
    AUDENTES FORTUNA JUVAT

Comment

Welldone mark its about time you showed Lynn who's boss when it comes to fishing. ( not in the house ).

Comment

Glad you had a good trip out mate. I'd be over the moon with that pollack!
        People who live in glass houses have to answer the door.

Comment

Great Report Mark, and a few good fish for yous....... thats it then the spell is now well and truly broken

good luck to yous both

norm
          ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
          . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
          ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lingking View Post
            great stuff mark well done, roll on friday

i take it no mackarel about today
            Thanks Duncan. The Skipper pulled in a string of three, that was it, no one fishing for them.

See you Friday!

Comment

Nice few fish! Especially the haddock!!

That boat looks the biz

Comment

Originally posted by lambengland View Post
                Nice few fish! Especially the haddock!!

That boat looks the biz
                The boat is fantastic, as was the Haddock, which we have just had battered with chips! Amazing.

Comment

Whitby Summer Boat Angling Festival Results 03-07-2013
                  « on: Today at 08:08:43 PM »

1st-Matthew Breen-York-12lb-11 1/2oz-Ling-Sea Otter2-goes 4th overall and 3rd in the Ling Section
                  2nd-John Wilcock-Bradford-10lb-15oz-Cod-Shy Torque 111-goes joint 2nd in the Cod Section
                  3rd-Christopher Chadwick-Sheffield-10lb-09oz-Ling-Sea Otter 2

Junior Section
                  1st-Fergus Powell-Grosmount--08lb-09oz-Ling-Shy Torque 111
                  2nd-Fergus Powell-Grosmount-08lb-00oz-Cod-Shy Torque 111

Haddock Section
                  Mark Barday-Greenock-01lb-11oz-Trot On 11-goes 3rd in the Haddock Section

Haha, couldn't resist, I am so sad! Just noticed they mis spelt my name!!
                  Last edited by kayos; 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=kayos;576979]Whitby Summer Boat Angling Festival Results 03-07-2013
                    « on: Today at 08:08:43 PM »

beat me to it Mark
                    Alan

Comment

some cracking fish there and i had to wear sunglasses when i seen your outfit mark lol
                      KOMPRESSOR SPORT
                      PENN 525 MAG SLIDEY
                      PENN 525 MAG KNOBBY
                      OKUMA TRIO 55
                      YUKI RUBYMAR
                      RON THOMPSON TYRON
                      SPECIES HUNT 2015 = CODLING, TURBOT, FLOUNDER, DAB, SS SEA SCORPION

Comment

Originally posted by toonboymc View Post
                        some cracking fish there and i had to wear sunglasses when i seen your outfit mark lol
                        It's cracked my screen on my phone it's that bright!

Comment

Great read Mark, and you're catching fish...wahheeyyy... slow start but you are out of the starting blocks.....

Comment

A good days fishing for you and a cracking pollack !! Cant say the same for my and lynns trip out . Building up to writing a very boring report lol

Comment

Great report Mark, pleased you had fish aswell, was out with Jim this morn
                              for a few hours, no cod but loads of mack.

Comment

Working...
                              X