Stingray 29.06.2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stingray 29.06.2013

Went out Friday but was blown out the water really so never made it far, still landed fish but short trip due to wind and massive sea...did land some mackerel touching on 3lb...yes 3lb massive.

Saturday looked iffy but after the 6pm update it looked to be a nice day and it was in the end. Myself Chris and Dave out today, a nice late start to let that swell settle down so cleared the marina at about 7.45am and headed out into a nice looking sea with a peak of sun.

We headed to a wreck where we had loads of mackerel from the previous day but found them hard going only taken 7.

From there we started moving around the wrecks doing 11 in total and most just never showed any sign of life. With the drift fast and no keeper sin the boat by 11am it was looking a bad choice to stick with the wrecks rather than tiddler bash on the rough ground but....

1hr before slack tide we hit a wreck and it was a mad 1hr and abit with cod upto 7.8lb and ling upto 8.8lb along with more mackerel.

We all plucked away taken a fish or two a drift but with the drift rather fast we lost a canny bit of gear.

I ended up with 5 cod and 5 ling all over 4lb along with mackerel and Chris and Dave also had a similar catch.

We kept about 8 cod between us and put back the rest and all the ling.

With a long trip abck home we set off taken turns to fillet and drive and even used sun cream today

Fishing still a million miles away from 2010-2011 standards but at least we are taken better fish now and in slightly better numbers.

All in all happy with today and some found it too much hard work winding them fish in from the depths after too many trips close in at 50ft down

Until Next weekend
    ................__................................ .............................
    ____[ ~ \_____
    [__On-A-Roll__/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    P.B
    SKATE 204lb
    COD 51lb
    LING 32lb
    TOPE 40lb
    CONGER 25lb
    HADDOCK 10lb
    HALIBUT 37lb
    COALIE 16lb
    BLUE SHARK 55lb

Good report and catch. At least there is the odd wreck with a few fish on.

Good to see the mackerel have turned up now so fingers crossed the wrecks switch on soon as well.

Comment

Aye Rich, great report....... your right about the mackerel not that we touched on 3lb but certainly big ones and full of roe (according to my filleting apprentice)
      we left at 4.00am ish, our downfall on this occasion as I fear the fish didn't turn on until the ebb, by which time we had decided there were more important things to be addressed ... leads

well done great pictures and good luck on your Norway Visit.

norm
      ]` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` )
      . . ,,,,,,___[ ~ \___
      ,,;;`` [_________/-,......... Norman......... http://slinkykate.com/

Comment

Nice report and pics Richy. I imagine a 3lb mackerel would be fun on light gear
        PB Ling 14.5lb (AUG 2013 Stingray)

Comment

Great report Rich. Great pics as well. A few nice fish and some jumbo mackerel. Great stuf.
          P.B. Cod 30lb-11ozs Balcary.

Comment

Working...
          X